5 Winter Things to do in the Capital Region

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

With winter approaching, there are several fun winter activities that are offered all around the Capital Region.

1. Empire State Plaza

The Empire State Plaza has had an ice rink for the last seven years. The admission is free and skate rentals are relatively cheap so that anyone can go skating in the winter. It is a great place for families or for skating with your friends.

Image Source

2. Capital Holiday Lights in the Park

Located in Albany’s Washington Park, the holiday lights have more than 125 displays and scenes for cars to drive around and see. This is a little more expensive with cars costing $20 to drive around to see all the lights.

3. Lake George

Only an hour north of Albany they offer a ton of winter activities including an annual Winter Carnival and a large indoor water park at Six Flags Great Escape Lodge.

4. Hunter Mountain

Located a little south of Albany, Hunter Mountain has a huge snow tubing park, perfect for your inner child.

Image Source

5. Thacher State Park

Thacher State Park, located only half an hour from Albany, offers snowmobiling, snowshoeing and cross-country skiing.

Hope everyone has some fun this winter!

Thumbnail Source

Melanie Moran is a Siena College Class of 2019 alumna. She studied Accounting during her time at Siena.