This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Life as a college student can be very chaotic and stressful. Even though professors would cringe if they read this, almost every student has waited until the very last second to complete assignments. Whether it’s because you have been busy playing sports as a college athlete, going through a hard time, have been hanging out with friends, or just didn’t do the work, everyone has been guilty of procrastinating at least once during their time as a student. Once the procrastination starts with an assignment, it creates a snowball effect and all of a sudden, you’re drowning in all of the work you’ve put off. Hopefully these tips help you get out of that habit or prevent you from even procrastinating in the first place!

Make sure you write down assignments.

Unless you write down homework, how will you know when things are due? Some professors are really good about posting due dates online, whereas others barely even post grades. Writing down an assignment when your professor mentions it gives you enough time to figure out how much time it will take, and allows you to find time in your busy schedule to complete it!

Create a calendar for yourself!

Use those notes you took in class about assignments, and turn it into a calendar. A calendar will help you stay organized so you know when everything is due! This can help you stay on top of assignments and relieve some of your stress!

Be sure to set reminders.

It’s very easy to forget when things are due, even when you’ve written it down everywhere. We’re only human, right? A reminder on your phone can be the little nudge you needed to get started on some work.

Make plans with friends/classmates.

Meeting up with a group to do work makes it really hard to procrastinate. If you meet up to do work in the library or somewhere you won’t get distracted, it’ll boost your effort in getting those assignments completed! That being said, you do have to be careful about the group you choose because you could get distracted. Choose a group of people who you’ll work efficiently with!

Work on assignments when your professor assigns them!

This seems the most far fetched because the life of a college student doesn’t allow much time for getting ahead on work. It will help you out in the long run and alleviate future stress if you start working on assignments if you start them early.

The amount of homework and assignments seem to be never ending, but they are less stressful the quicker you get them done and the better prepared you are for them!

Nikki Gazdik is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. She studied Accounting during her time at Siena.