5 Ways To De-Stress During Finals Week: Holiday Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

1.Deck Your Dorm With a Festive Room Christmas Tree

90% of the time my dorm room is a complete mess. Aside from the cheetah print plastered all over the room and array of leggings carpeting floor one would be convinced it was a boy’s room. However, the only time my room is ever neat and even pristine is when it’s festively decorated. Its much easier for me to clean my room when it is cluttered with dollar store holiday cheer because it gets me excited for the approaching festivities. It makes the room homey and cheerful. My roommate and I begin looking forward to putting up our mini Christmas tree the day we move back in. Not only is it fun to put up, but also studying is actually enjoyable with a miniscule tree plastered on the fridge illuminating the room (with fire hazard free battery operated lights of course).

2.Download the Michael Buble’s Christmas Album

And listen to it when you’re cleaning your room, taking a shower, studying, basically just listen to it all day. It is arguably the most effective music for distressing and Michael Buble makes Christmas music significantly less annoying. Once Halloween is over it is more than appropriate to flaunt your holiday playlist.

3.Print Out Holiday Coloring Sheets

Coloring is relaxingly mind numbing and the perfect activity to do while breaking in your festive holiday playlist.  You may get some weird glances in the computer lab while printing out pictures of Mickey and Donald decorating a Christmas tree and Hello Kitty decking the halls, but it’s definitely worth it.  Not to mention it will look great on the wall surrounding your room tree!

4.Surround Yourself With Holiday Scents and Tastes

The aromas of gingerbread and sugar cookies automatically trigger thoughts of Santa and Snowmen. While candles are a fire hazard and forcing everyone to evacuate the building due to a candle-fueled combustion is not in the holiday spirit, limited edition freeze and lotion are always available for purchase. With Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks right down the street, feel free to take advantage of salted caramel Frappuccino’s and peppermint mocha lattes and bring them to the library. If you’re strapped for money, time and transportation, Casey’s and Saga will definitely have cider and hot chocolate to keep you satisfied. You can also steal some cookies from saga and heat them up in the microwave for some simple holiday baking.

5.Buy and Ugly Sweater

You don’t need an invite to an ugly sweater party to enjoy this essential wardrobe piece. Have no shame and wear it to class, saga and even the library when studying. It can make you feel a bizarre sense of confidence while taking a big exam and it’s the only time all year you can get away with wearing one. Just embrace the holiday spirit as opposed of embarrassing the stress of finals week. It’s the most wonderful and stressful time of the year so good luck and Happy Holidays! 

Angela DeRosso is a Siena College Class of 2018 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied English.