This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Over this past summer, I found out that I have a high gluten intolerance. After months of feeling sick and having stomach pains, this diagnosis finally explained all of my symptoms. Instantly, I had cut gluten completely out of my diet, and at first it was very hard. I found myself constantly reaching for bread at restaurants or the cookies on my counter. Throughout the summer I was constantly doing research on the best gluten free snacks and what foods were okay for me to eat. It’s taken me a while, and while I am no expert in the subject, I have learned a lot and have five tips to share that have helped me throughout this journey.

A Helpful App

Navigating through finding a restaurant that has gluten free options can be difficult, but with the app GF, it is so much easier. This app can filter through many different allergies and restrictions and can help find local places to eat, so you will know that the restaurant has options for you. 

Cooking Substitutes

When cooking, many gluten free recipes suggest all different types of flours that are pretty expensive and do not match the measures of regular flour. However, using a one to one ratio flour can be a great option, and somewhat cheaper, if you are still looking to make your favorite foods and desserts. 

Checking Food Labels 

One thing I have found being gluten free is that, although can be tedious, reading food labels is extremely important. Many foods that I would have never thought contain wheat do. I have found this mostly with sauces and other condiments. It’s always a good idea to check or ask before eating anything, especially if you are allergic. 

Restaurants

Another helpful tip I have learned through eating out being gluten free is that is also very important to tell waiters and waitresses that you have an intolerance or an allergy, because a lot of times cross contamination happens back in the kitchen and you want to make sure your food is not getting contaminated.

Balance

Lastly, the main thing I have learned being gluten free is that you still should eat what you want, but just need to find good substitutes for foods you used to eat a lot. For example, for me I found that having rice instead of pasta or bread still fills me up and I still enjoy my meal just as much as I did before. Still allowing yourself to eat what you want will help with the change you are making by cutting out gluten. 

At first, needing to go gluten free seemed like such a big deal to me. I felt like I couldn’t eat many of the foods I loved anymore, but I knew I needed to do it for my health. With instant results of feeling better it gave me the motivation I needed to continue. Finding good substitutions for your favorite foods is the most important thing you can do as well as reading food labels. After a while, it becomes much easier but these are just some tips to help you along the way.

Caroline Seppa is a Siena College Class of 2022 alumna. She studied Accounting with an Information Systems minor during her time at Siena.