This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

After all of the hard work and stress of the semester, we have all earned a break. Some people have a lot going on over break, while boring people like me will be sitting around at home all day. Regardless of your plans, Netflix is always a go-to when you’re in need of some much-needed down-time.  If you’re looking for a new show to binge watch, but are not sure where to start, here are a few suggestions!

1.  Gotham

If you haven’t been watching Gotham (shame on you!), I highly recommend you start. With its high popularity and many adaptations, everyone knows at least something about Batman, but not a lot is known about the period between the death of Bruce Wayne’s parents and when he assumes the identity of Batman. It is this period in the franchise where Gotham steps in, and they do a fantastic job of it. Almost everyone who knows me has had to sit through 20 minutes of me gushing about how amazing Gotham is. I’ve always said that this is one of those shows that is consistently excellent, but that’s kind of a lie. With every episode and every season, Gotham keeps getting better and better. Netflix will get you caught up on the first three seasons before you jump into the fabulous season four, which will return to FOX sometime in the spring.

2.  Jessica Jones

As superheroine Jessica Jones attempts to rebuild her life as a private investigator, someone from the past unexpectedly comes back to derail her progress. Admittedly, I’m more of a DC fan than a Marvel fan, and I only decided to watch this show because of David Tennant, but I have to say that I was extremely impressed. So impressed, that I ended up watching the entire first season in two days. If you start watching it now, you’ll have plenty of time before Season 2 airs on Netflix on March 8.

3.  Broadchurch

I’m not usually a huge fan of crime dramas, but this three-season British show captivated me. When a young boy is found dead in a small, coastal English town where nothing happens, everyone is a suspect. Each episode is so well done, yet so mysterious, that I can honestly say that I was genuinely shocked when the killer was revealed. I know people say this all the time but, without giving too much away, it was honestly the last person I suspected. Broadchurch takes you on a ride that is completely worth it.

4.  Reign

Reign tells a fictionalized account of Mary, Queen of Scots, including her marriage to Francis II of France  While it is not historically accurate by any means (which, as a history major, is a little annoying), the drama and entertainment value were enough to keep me watching past episode one.

5.  Spies of Warsaw

Unlike the other shows on the list, this is a show that I haven’t started yet. Based on the book by Alan Furst, Spies of Warsaw is a tale of espionage at the onset of World War II. World War II dramas are a highly popular medium of entertainment and are usually well done, so I look forward to seeing how this one compares.

Happy Netflix everyone!

Thumbnail Image Source

Rachel is a sophomore History Major and Women's Studies Minor hailing from Seneca Falls, NY. Her hobbies include reading, writing, spending time with friends, and spending more time than is humanly possible watching the TV show Once Upon a Time and reading/writing fan fiction. Her life goals include writing something that will later become famous and working as an important person at an important place.