This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Feminism, gender equality, girl power, women’s rights….? These terms have become increasingly popular over the last couple of years but for some reason, it is still unclear to people what these terms mean. Ask one person to define a feminist and they’ll describe a man-hating, bra-burning lesbian. Ask a different person and they’ll describe a young man who justs wants his mother and sister to receive equal pay. While both of these individuals might be pro-feminism, people still believe that there is only one type of feminist. Feminism is a complex issue that any person can stand up for! Here are some myths and facts about FEMINISM…

MYTH 1: All feminists hate men.

FACT 1: Not all feminists aren’t anti-men. We don’t want to knock down men, we just want to lift women up so that we are all on the same playing field.

MYTH 2: Feminists don’t believe in personal hygiene.

FACT 2: Being a feminist has nothing to do with how we take care of ourselves, it’s about how we view ourselves. If we choose to bathe, shave, or put make-up on that has nothing to do with us being a feminist. 

MYTH 3: Feminists are extremists.

FACT 3: There might be some radical feminists but that doesn’t mean that ALL feminists are the same way. We might all have the same goal but with different means of achieving it.

MYTH 4: Feminism is just a way for women to complain and whine.

FACT 4: Feminism isn’t women whining and complaining, it’s about advocating for women’s rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

MYTH 5: Feminists are bra-burning lesbians. 

FACT 5: Feminists come from all different backgrounds: gay, straight, man, woman, Black, Latino….and not all feminists burn their bras (especially if it’s a $50 one from Victoria’s Secret).

Nora Gleason is a Siena College Class of 2016 alumna. She studied Creative Arts during her time at Siena.
Angelina Castro is a Siena College Class of 2016 alumna. During her time at Siena, Angelina studied Creative Arts and double-minored in Marketing and Broadcast & Society.