kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Easy and Foolproof Ways To Get In Shape At The Mac

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

It’s that time of year again! You’re headed back to campus from weeks of relaxing at home with your family, and you’re so excited to see your friends again, and then that familiar, looming thought comes over you again. How the heck am I supposed to stay in shape in the middle of the winter?  For anyone who may be asking herself this burning question (much like myself!), here are some very easy and foolproof ways to get in shape at the Mac this semester.

1. The Track: If you don’t exercise on a regular basis or may not know where to begin, don’t worry! Everyone starts getting in shape at their own pace, and the track on the upper level of the Mac is a great place to begin.  You can walk, jog, or run around the track as many times as you want and at your own pace.  Eight times around the track equals one mile, so you can also very easily keep track of how far you walk or run.

2. Cardio Machines: Doing cardio is a great way to get in shape, and the Mac provides three different types of cardio machines that are open to everyone to use.  The treadmill, elliptical, and bikes are all very easy to use and also consist of various levels and workouts that you can choose in accordance to what works best for you.  Doing a thirty to forty minute cardio workout a few days a week can really go a long way, and it will save you from having to go for a run in those freezing, below zero temperatures!

3. The Pool: The pool at the Mac is normally used for the Women’s Swim Team and Water Polo Team to practice, but a lot of students aren’t aware that the pool is also open to the rest of the student body! Swimming is an excellent way to get in shape, and many people enjoy swimming more than running or walking.  Swimming uses the body’s muscles intensely, and just a half an hour of swimming a few days a week can make a world of a difference.  Check the Mac’s official website for open pool hours, and don’t be afraid to come by yourself or bring friends with you!

4. Music: This may be kind of an obvious way to help you get in shape, but listening to music while working out can truly make a difference! Listening to music while exercising not only keeps you focused and can help you work out even harder, but it also makes the workout more fun.  All of the cardio machines at the Mac have built-in chargers that you can plug your phone into if you’re low on battery and want to listen to music.  If you’re looking for a way to add a little excitement to your next workout, make a playlist to bring to the Mac to listen to! You’ll be surprised at how much more you will like working out while listening to music.

5. Yoga Mats and Weights: You don’t have to use those ridiculously heavy dumbbell machines in order to build some muscle in your arms, back, and core. Located on the main floor of the Mac next to the bikes, and next to the track on the upper level of the Mac, are smaller hand weights and yoga mats.  These hand weights are an easy and foolproof way to gain muscle in your arms without trying to lift too much.  The yoga mats are also a great way to start getting in shape, as you can use them for stretching, core exercises, and of course, yoga workouts.  They’re always available to use and you can use them completely at your own pace.  Don’t try to do too much! Going at a pace in which you’re comfortable can truly help you to get into a strong and very healthy shape.

Julia Lowney is a Siena College Class of 2018 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied English and also minored in Marketing and Writing and Communications.