photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

4 Ways To Get Into The Thanksgiving Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Sometimes truly getting into the Thanksgiving spirit takes more than daydreams about the food.

1. Remind yourself of what you’re thankful for.

This is a super simple reflective thinking exercise I’m stealing from one of my professors. In the days leading up to Thanksgiving, take some time each morning to list three things you are thankful for that day. Your list can range from your new snow boots, to your roommate, to your little siblings you have been missing. Taking time to reflect on all of these things that bring joy into your life will surely relieve some school stress and pump you up for the weekend home.

Gif source

2. Volunteer your time.

Volunteering offers the best of both worlds: bonding with fellow volunteers and serving those in need. This is something that can easily be done with a team, friends, coworkers, or even family. Soup kitchens and food pantries are particularly popular service sights around this time of year, so be sure to check out your local one’s for volunteer opportunities.

Gif source

3. Friendsgiving: aka Celebrate Your Friendships!

Friends are the family you get to choose; honor the special bonds you have formed over the years by gathering around a meal of your favorite foods! Since Thanksgiving is usually a holiday spent with blood relatives, it is important to carve out some time for your other nearest and dearest relations. So crack open a bottle of wine, put on a cheesy holiday movie, and be prepared for hours of dishing about how your semesters’ have been going.

Gif source

4. Give to others.

Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful for what we have, and in turn recognize what others may need. Helping others, even if it means via self-sacrifice, assures that both you and the people you are helping will have rewarding holiday seasons. The Franciscan Center for Service & Advocacy has put up their annual “Giving Trees” around campus; stop by a tree (including one in the SSU Atrium) before leaving for break so you have time to shop for a present and return it wrapped next week!

Gif source

Happy Thanksgiving from Her Campus Siena, to you!

Susana Garcia is a Siena College Class of 2018 alumna. She studied English during her time at Siena.