3 Things the Gilmore Girls Revival Taught Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

1. Accept help from others.

Rory Gilmore has never really needed “saving” per say, but she has definitely needed guidance. In this revival, Rory learned and taught us all that it is okay to receive help from others. We see Rory bouncing around from home to home and eventually taking life changing advice from Jess. Emily takes advice from Lorelai, Rory helps Paris with family issues, and The Life and Death Brigade help Logan and Rory find closure. It’s okay to not have everything figured out when you have others looking out for you.

Image source

2. Pursue your passions.

I’ll admit it, multiple times throughout these episodes I thought we had lost the golden Rory of the past, until Jess suggests a “Gilmore Girls” novel. Rory immediately lights up at this idea and the narrative “pours” out of her. Sookie is off raising vegetables, Hep Alien is still writing and performing, and even Taylor Doose is off crafting his Stars Hollow play. If you’re still in search for a passion, find something that comes as easily to you as it comes to the latter characters. No matter how hard the road to pursuing your passion gets, remember the self-fulfillment you’ll receive from it will make the struggles all worthwhile.

Image source

3. Embrace your roots.

The people of Stars Hollow, with their quirks and all, continually captivate audiences and even out-of-towners in the series. Rory’s return to Star Hollow gives her a sense of purpose and leads her back towards journalism with her revival of The Stars Hollow Gazette. Often times, I find that people are so focused on escaping where they come from, that they overlook the familiarity that can lead to opportunities and a sense of motivation like Rory found.

Image source

Susana Garcia is a Siena College Class of 2018 alumna. She studied English during her time at Siena.