3 Feminist YouTubers You Should Start Watching

Sometimes we’re just not in the mood for a TV show or movie during relaxation time, and may be more drawn to something a little shorter and unfiltered. My go-to entertainment is usually in the form of YouTube videos, and it’s an extra bonus when I can find smart, entertaining YouTubers who clearly have a feminist angle to their content. Below are three feminist YouTubers who we feel are the best creators to turn to when you need some shorter but educating entertainment to unwind with.

1) Rosianna Halse Rojas

Rosianna is about as veteran as you can get as a vlogger. She began making YouTube videos in 2006 when she was still a teenager and has since become author John Green’s personal assistant, moving from London to Indianapolis for the job almost two years ago. She was even featured on her school’s Her Campus page while she was in university! Producing content that covers cooking, books, travel and more, Rosianna is also incredibly well-spoken about different aspects of feminism. Her video above tackles feminism in film, using the Carey Mulligan film Far From the Madding Crowd as an example.  

2) Akilah Hughes

Akilah produces funny skits covering realistic issues and more serious videos discussing her life. She also makes a lot of vlogs about living in New York City and is literally the absolute voice of reason sometimes—just watch “Iced Coffee vs. Hot Coffee” and you’ll know what we mean. The video listed here backs up what we all fall victim to when trying to be good feminists—sometimes you gotta give into those guilty pleasures, Kardashians included.

3) Hannah Witton

If you’re interested in any and all aspects of feminism—perhaps even ones you didn’t realize existed—Hannah’s channel is the place to go. Although she does create videos about life in London, her history degree, and drunk advice, Hannah’s biggest subject matters are women’s rights, sexuality, and feminism. She’s even written a book! Above, she discusses one of our favorite Disney flicks, The Little Mermaid, and why it’s actually about self-empowerment.

These three ladies and their videos are great starting points to finding fun YouTube videos from which you can also learn something. Of course, there are plenty of other creators out there that discuss feminism, like Lucy Moon, Emily Diana Ruth, and even more. Find a YouTuber that covers subjects you’re passionate about, and enjoy!

Kristen is a 2017 graduate of Siena College with a degree in English and minors in Writing & Communications and Journalism. Although she constantly pines for life in London after studying there for a semester, she calls New York home for now. In addition to previously working as a writer and Senior Editor for Her Campus Siena, she has worked for Her Campus as a News and Pop Culture blogger and a national editorial intern. Kristen has previously written for New York Minute, London's Health and Fitness, and Electronic Products. She makes far too many references to "Friends" and the British royal family. Her blog, where she talks about books, TV, and film, can be found at Bookworms and Fangirls. Follow her on Twitter @kperroney.