sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

25 Ways to Give and Be Thankful This November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

As the holiday season approaches there are many things as a whole that we can be grateful for. There are also many things that we can do to give to others and the community at large. We tend to forget to be grateful and give all year round, and become reminded to do so when the holidays come rolling around. Here are a few things that we can be thankful for and ways we can begin to give this holiday season. And for the broke college students like myself, there are many ways to give that don’t require giving money.

1. Family

This one should be easy to do all year round. Who even are we without our families? I know I owe a lot of who I am and my success in life to my family. They’re my primary support system, they’re always there through everything. At the end of the day, I wouldn’t trade anyone in my big crazy family for anything, and I wouldn’t want a world without them.

2. Friends

Just like your family, your friends are a huge influence in your life. They’re the family you get to choose. They are there for every cry, laugh, and one-shot-too-many, risky texts. They are there during the good times and the bad times. Sometimes you guys may be doing the exact same thing as each other, whether it is good or bad. They are behind every text you send bae including being there for backup during fights or breakups. There is no one like them and you should show your appreciation towards them daily because that wild bunch of weirdos/dorks are your life and a huge part of your heart. I know I’d be lost without mine.

3. Pets

If you don’t appreciate your animals daily then you are trash…real trash. I’m not even sorry for that comment. Your pets are literally your best friends and I’ll fight with you if you disagree. I know I literally cry every time I Facetime my puppy because I miss not seeing her every day. My favorite thing is to cuddle up with her and my kitten to watch movies. Pets are proven to boost your well-being and this is currently being researched further. Please show your pet, whether it be a dog, cat, reptile, turtle, horse, cow, pig, sloth, bird, bug, etc., some true tender, love and care.

4. Significant Others

Our significant others are so many things to us all wrapped into one person. They’re our chefs, pillows, eating buddies, best friends, lovers, caretakers, listeners to our daily lives/problems, our rocks and more. They deserve to be shown how grateful you are of them. Girls listen to endless garage talk, and then they have a pretty good understanding of how a car works without really thinking. They even have to deal with you and your bros’ bro talk occasionally. Guys have to listen to how Becky can’t keep her clothes on every time you go out with the girls, how Susan is always puking, and how Karen pisses you off daily but is your BFF for life. Boys become our best gossip pals, let’s be honest. You should show your better half that you care for them/love them every single day.

Gif Source

5. Education

Not everyone is going to have the same academic opportunities as you. Be thankful that you were able to have one to help better your future as well as your intelligence.

6. Volunteer

Volunteer at soup kitchens, charities, runs for a cause, Siena Serves, etc. Not only does volunteering help those who you are giving your time to, but it helps you grow as a person. It creates a new perspective on how you view the world.

Image Source

7. Donate

Donate money, clothes, toys, and/or old electronics to charities to give to the poor, homeless, hospitals, natural disaster victims, etc.

Image Source

8. Smiles

Just simply smiling at people will boost their well-being. Smiles and laughter spread around will cause others to spread it to others themselves.

9. Kindness and love

Always stay humble and kind. Respect your elders, respect your neighbor and fellow country men/women. Use your manners, respect differences in opinion, values and cultures. Spread love to those all around you. Show admiration for people and their talents. Embrace those who need embracing. Spread kind thoughts to everyone that graces your presence. Hug more.

Image Source

10. Time

Give your time to your loved ones. Be there for them. Be present when you’re at functions or group hangouts. Take time out of your busy schedule to put them first. Don’t be the group flake. Hangout with people on their terms too, not only yours. Put the phone down.

Image Source

11. Food

God did not put the farmers on this beautiful planet just for you not to enjoy the food made from their farms. There are so many different types of foods and ways to cook them. Food helps you grow to be strong and healthy. Food increases mood, food satisfies the soul. Food brings people together. You can eat alone, with a spouse, a friend, a pet, a group or at a family dinner. Making food is almost as fun as eating it. Food will always be there, and it will never break your heart. Be thankful for the food in your life, be sure to donate to charities that bring food to those nations suffering from hunger.

Image Source

12. The Life You Have

The life you live and the experiences you have are unique to you. This shouldn’t go on lightly, especially if you are living your best life. Be thankful that you’re living this good life and that you have wonderful people in your life who want to ensure that your life stays that good or gets better. Be grateful for all of the amazing experiences you have had in this life.

13. Clean/Safe Water

Be thankful that you have access to water that is drinkable, safe to cleanse bodies, and to cook with. This is one thing that some take for granted or forget. We should use this safe water in small abundances; we shouldn’t waste it by letting it run forever. Some countries/cities have to boil water they gather from dirty streams and rivers in order to have safe water. Many fall ill due to lack of purified water that is safe to cleanse and consume. Think about that the next time you leave the water running.

Image Source

14. Freedom

We have rights to free speech, religion, what we wear and who we marry. Everyone in this beautiful country is free to express themselves and their opinions. We have the right to bear arms and the right to vote. We are free to live the good ole American Dream. We are free to live a life that is entirely our own and we can be as crazy or as plain as we want to be. There are so many opportunities for freedom in this country and we should be thankful for that. We should be thankful for the men and women who risk their lives every day to protect us and our freedom. Be thankful to those who have died for their beloved country to ensure that each living person in it has their freedom and rights.

Image Source

15. Health

Be thankful for your health. Be thankful for each day you live that isn’t filled with suffering. Some of our suffering may come from physical illnesses and/or mental illnesses. If you’re lucky enough to be as healthy as a horse, then be thankful for it.

Image Source

16. Help Someone

Whether it is someone struggling to reach something at the grocery store, someone who is struggling with homework or how to use technology, offer to help them through the process. If someone is unsure of how to do something, step in and help, don’t just stand there. Lend a helping hand. Help someone practice a talent until they get better at it.

Image Source

17. Listen to someone when they need to vent

Sometimes people just hold everything in until they explode or they have a really bad day and they need another person to listen to them other than their heads. They probably don’t even need you to say anything, just to listen to them. Be there for them and comfort them if needed. Sometimes people just need a good friend or someone to listen to them, just once.

Image Source

18. Listen to your grandparents’ and parents’ stories

Just like us, our grandparents and parents love to relive their glory days. There comes a time in our lives when we’re old enough to listen to their craziest/best days of their youth that they want to share with us. Be respectful and listen because you don’t realize it but they’re super excited to share their stories with you. Don’t be rude and act like it is the end of the world for you to sit there and listen to them. They had to listen to your crazy stories you created from your imagination as a young child.

19. Make a child’s day by imagining/playing with them

Children love having a playmate, especially ones who are willing to get on their level and imagine scenarios to act out. Build something and imagine it being something out-of-this-world. Be the damsel in distress that they save, the bad guy to their cop, the patient to their doctor, etc. Finding new creative ways to play games that involve them learning numbers, letters and animals. Brighten a child’s day and bring out your inner child in the process.

20. Treat good friends and family

Surprise them with food, coffee and gifts, for no reason other than the fact that you love them and appreciate them for being in your life. Go over and beyond for their birthdays. Show your appreciation and love towards them in many small gifts, even just a text telling them that you love them or a letter. Just treat those special people in your life.

21. Nature

Nature is such a breathtaking phenomenon. I could go on and on about it. There are so many different elements that make up nature and each one is just as beautiful as the next. To begin, the sky is a natural work of art. The plains are so open and allow so much light and life to captivate in it that it becomes more than just grass, it’s a real masterpiece. There are oceans, lakes, rivers where the sun reflects perfectly on the water, and ripples form with trees and flowers creating peace and serenity in their physical presence. Then there are the mountains and the views from the top of them. Many mountains gather popularity with people hiking up them just for the views at the top. Those views are like nothing that you will see from the base of it. These views are so breathtaking, it’s the greatest feeling you will ever feel in your entire life…at least that is my opinion. We should not take for granted how beautiful the world is nor should we destroy it.

22. God

This one mainly pertains to your religious beliefs. But as a Roman Catholic, I am thankful for God each and every day. I am grateful for the path he has lead me through. Knowing that he is always there to lift up spirits and answer prayers, I’m grateful for him for creating this beautiful world and all of the creation and living things within it.

Image Source

23. Sunset/sunrise

I think they speak for themselves. The multiple colors that seem to paint the clouds and sky make such wonderful art. It is remarkably jaw-dropping. Each one is so different and unique from the previous sunset. We should be grateful to live in a world where we get to have living art in the skies.

24. People who give to you

Be thankful that people love you enough to give small gifts of love and appreciation. Buy you food/coffee/drinks just because you got them last time or because they just want to. Be thankful that there are people who truly love you.

25. Yourself

Always be grateful for yourself and who you are. Be thankful for all you have accomplished to become the person you are right now. Admire yourself for your struggles, your demons that you had to fight in order to become successful. Be proud of who you are, your personality, everything that makes you, you. Love yourself, every curve, the parts you love, the parts you hate, love every inch of yourself. Be your true self, allow happiness and gratitude to take over. Know that you are important, smart, caring, loved, loving and beautiful. Treat yourself, encourage yourself to always do your best.

Always stay humble, kind and grateful no matter the season. Respect everyone and their opinions. Give when you can, love always, always give unconditional love. Spread love and happiness and good thoughts. Remember your worth and that you are loved, deserve love and are beautiful. Be grateful and giving this holiday season as we should be every other day too.

Thumbnail Image Source

Katey Kohler is a Siena College Class of 2019 alumna. She studied Psychology during her time at Siena.