20 Signs That You Have the Ideal Roommate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Going away to college is a scary experience.  It’s the first time you’re leaving your comfortable nest behind and flying towards the next stage in your life.  You worry about being away from home, missing the life you’ve always known, adjusting to classes, making friends and having your first ever roommate.

Don’t fret!  If you’re lucky enough, you will come to find that your roommate is your long lost soul mate.  They are your very first friend at college.  You may cry together over being homesick, but will eventually cheer each other up and dive into the college world side by side.

They’ll be more than your friends — they know way too much about you, from your morning routine to your late night confessions.  It’s no surprise that your roommate will put up with all of it & love you nonetheless.  

Here are some things that you will experience together:

1. Your roommate will journey with you to Casey’s, just to help you beat that late night craving if you’re that serious about it.  Even if you live up campus.

2. She will pump you up when you’re crying over what that boy (or girl) did to you that day. This may lead to two different things: hitting the townhouses for a fun-filled night of dancing, or staying in to binge watch Netflix and hearing all of the obnoxious party goers return from their night out.

3. It may also lead to them plotting his/her ultimate “demise” for hurting you so badly. I mean, who would hurt someone so wonderful?  No one messes with my roommate!

4. No matter what, you will always have a partner in crime. 

5. Communication is so effortless that all it takes is a shared look to know what the other is thinking.

6. She is probably the number one person who completely understands what’s going on in your college world.

7. She’d be the only person who would’ve known about that one bad hookup you had the other weekend and wouldn’t dare tell anyone…but she’d nag on you for days on end!

8. When you go out together, it can be assumed that you arrive and leave as a package deal.

9. But before you go out, you need her honest opinion on your outfit.

10. You begin to know all of her home friends by name, even if you haven’t met them. Pretty soon your amount of friends double.

11. You call her parents “mom” and “dad” and may even show them more affection than she does at times.

12. Whether it’s a one nigt stand, a hook-up, or a boyfriend/girlfriend…she will always be your wing woman.

13. It’s like having two closets of clothes to choose from.  What could be better?

14. When she leaves for the weekend, you commence a one-person dance party.

15. But then you get lonely after an hour and spam her with texts and snapchats.

16. Her bed is your bed…you honestly probably spend more time in their bed than your own.

17. Whether it’s a movie or a tv show you both enjoy, you make sure to arrive right on time so that you can watch it together.

18. When it comes to food, you know their order almost as well as your own.

19. There’s a special playlist that gets played when you need to have a roommate dance party

20. There are just some things and bonds that you will have with no other person except for your roommate.  Make sure you show her that you love her everyday!

Angelina Castro is a Siena College Class of 2016 alumna. During her time at Siena, Angelina studied Creative Arts and double-minored in Marketing and Broadcast & Society.