13 Things NOT to Say on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

We’ve heard enough of overzealous singles and overbearing couples taking over the media! There is a level of truth in these statements but it’s not the whole truth and we know it!

1.     “I hate being single.”

Why hate it when you could embrace it?? Take the time to make use of yourself rather than moping around.

2.     “I hate couples.”

Okay, but why? Being single can be pretty sucky sometimes, but why are you trying to ruin others’ happiness?

3.     “I hope he/she does *blank* for me”

High expectations with no guarantees will just lead to disappointment and fighting, no one wants that! So be happy with what you have and what will come.

http://media.giphy.com/media/gKX1svtHZl6dW/giphy-facebook_s.jpg

4.     “I don’t wanna buy him/her anything!”

You know damn well you want them to buy YOU something though…

5.      “Shout out to all the ladies with no man… yada yada yada something about being strong without them.”

Hello, why aren’t single guys included in this statement?? But true, you just need yourself; another person would just be an added bonus though…

6.     “I don’t need a man to be happy ‘cause boys suck!”

Yes, I agree…with the first part. It doesn’t mean you have to swear off everyone! There are great single girls and guys out there!

7.     “I feel so bad for single people on Valentine’s Day.”

Believe it or not I have come across this incredulous statement many times. No. Do not feel bad. Buy us chocolate or something; chances are we don’t actually care and we REALLY don’t need your pity…

http://blog.gotbeer.com/wp-content/uploads/single1.jpg

8.      “I know you’re single, but we can all go out and have fun!”

Okay! Maybe I just don’t WANT to. Or better yet, be reminded how single I am.

http://in-montgomery.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/happy-singles-awareness.jpg

9.     “I’m just gonna stay in and watch chick flicks and eat ice cream.”

Actually that doesn’t sound half bad, especially with Ben & Jerry’s… I retract, HAVE FUN!

10.  “GUYS/GIRLS SUCK!”

Shhh… You’re gonna go back to trying to find another one soon enough, so don’t bother letting these words escape your mouth… you’re better than that.

11.   “Why aren’t guys as excited as us girls on Valentine’s day?!”

For the record, not all girls are excited either and some guys are even MORE excited! Regardless, don’t worry about it! Just be excited for them.

12.  “Valentine’s Day is just a commercial holiday made up by the card and candy companies.”

You know what? Yes… and?? How many discounted chocolates do YOU buy afterwards?

13.   “Happy Valentine’s Day!”

HAHAHA! Just kidding, say it to everyone! Do a random act of kindness; you never know their story. You could always be making someone’s day. And hey, even if they don’t appreciate it, at least YOU were loving on this day.

Dihcole Lieu is a Siena College Class of 2018 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Psychology and Creative Arts.