10 Thoughts We Have About Game of Thrones Season 6

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

WARNING: This post contains MAJOR spoilers.

Season 5 of Game of Thrones left us with many questions, thoughts, and a lot of stuff to process. Like the seasons before it, season 5 was packed with plot twists, battles, character deaths, and enough shocks to make us regret watching the show in the first place. Now that the unprecedented and unfamiliar Season 6 is officially less than one month away, it’s time to get excited. For the first time ever, we don’t have the storyline of the books to rely on; we are at the mercy of the producers of the show until George RR Martin finishes up the next book in the series. So in the meantime, we’ve dissected the trailers over and over again, read into everything the actors say in their interviews (we’re looking at you, Kit Harington), scoured the Internet for leaked set pictures to find out everything we can about the upcoming season. Unfortunately, we can only gather so many things from doing that, so here we are, left alone with our thoughts.

Here are 10 thoughts we have about Game of Thrones Season 6.

1) Okay, Bran, what have you been up to?

Perhaps one of the most pivotal characters, Bran’s absence in season 5 left us wondering what one of the last remaining Stark children was up to. Rumor has it that Bran’s off screen transformation has been compared to Luke Skywalker’s between the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. So, the little lord has probably been up to some serious training and warg-ing. Judging by the looks of the new trailers and some new official pictures released, it looks like he’s going to have an intense season.  

2) Sansa, homegirl, I need you to do something.

Sansa hasn’t had the best time. From the Lannisters murdering (most) of her family, to fleeing King’s Landing, to her rather unfortunate marriage to Ramsey Bolton, the girl hasn’t been treated very well. Many people are speculating that Season 6 will mean a serious Sansa and that she will finally get her time to shine. I’m betting that Sansa will rise to power in some way, shape, or form. What I’m really hoping is that she will rival Daenerys’ demonstrations of power and that she becomes the ultimate fan-favorite. We’ve all been rooting for Sansa, but I’m ready to yell, “yaaas Sansa” at the top of my lungs.

3) Dany, what in the world of the Seven Kingdoms are you doing?

Daenerys Targaryen has proven time and time again to be one of the most pivotal characters in Game of Thrones.  In Season 5, we saw her storyline in Mereen really slow down until Drogon showed up and they had some nice quality time in the air together. It was really nice until our favorite dragon momma was last seen surrounded by the very scary Dothraki. In previous seasons, Dany has had many victorious moments and the end of Season 5 looked like she was in some real trouble this time. I’m hoping she gets rescued quickly in Season 6 and that she finally gets back on that whole taking back the Seven Kingdoms thing. I’m also hoping she can get her dragons under control. Really, what’s the point of owning fiery killing machines if you can’t control them and use them in battle?

4) Tyrion, I love you.

Hands down, Tyrion is one of my absolute favorite characters. In the most recent trailer for Season 6, we hear him saying, “are you afraid? You should be. You’re in the great game now and the great game is terrifying.” Tyrion, who are you talking to? Better yet, what does Season 6 have in store for you? Whatever it is, we can still expect to hear the same snarky, drunken remarks from our favorite little Lannister. Now that he has partnered with Daenerys, I think Tyrion will become an even more powerful character in the upcoming season, if that’s even possible, and I’m so ready to see that.

5) Brienne, keep doing what you’re doing, girl.Brienne has become a notable character over the seasons. We’ve seen her do a variety of things, including keeping her promises and sworn oaths. In Season 6, I’m thinking that Brienne is going to take Sansa under her protection, something that we have all been waiting to see for quite awhile now. The Oathkeeper is expected to have a heroic, showstopping season, and I can’t wait to watch.

6) Cersei, I may actually root for you…for once.

Cersei’s final scene in Season 5 left people with many, many different emotions. While she is one of the most hated characters on the show, her walk of shame Mother’s Mercy march was certainly difficult to watch. Part of me laughed and part of me cringed. I’m going against popular opinion here, but when it comes to her revenge in Season 6, I may be rooting for her, but only for a few minutes, I swear.

7) BYE BYE BOLTONS.

I’m so done with the Boltons. If I didn’t hate them after the Red Wedding, I certainly hate them now. They seem quite fond of flaying, so I’m hoping somebody does them (and me) a favor and flays them alive, just for giggles. It probably won’t happen early in Season 6, but I’m hoping we bid farewell to the Boltons, one way or another. *insert middle finger emoji*

8) Arya, can you see me?

The last time we saw (pun intended) Arya, she went blind. If her storyline in Season 5 could be summed up in one word it would be, “what?” I truly Arya will become a bigger power player in Season 6, but for now, it’s hard to say what exactly it is that she will be doing.  

9) Melisandre, make yourself useful.

The Red Priestess has never done much for me. She’s certainly nice to look at, but I got sick of her “Lord of Light” act rather quickly. Apparently in Season 6 we will see a more regretful, emotional side of Melisandre since her incorrect visions of Stannis. I’m very, very, very hopeful that Melisandre makes herself useful in Season 6, bringing us to our last thought.

10) Jon…BABY COME BACK.

My heart. The ending scene of Season 5 left me more bereft than the Red Wedding did. Honestly, the last thing I wanted to see was my favorite character lying in a pool of their own blood, betrayed by his brethren. For months now, like many others, I’ve been combing the Internet for clues on whether or not Jon Snow is alive. Kit Harington has been quoted saying that he does return in Season 6, which should bring us some hope, right? Wrong. Harrington just had to throw in that he plays a corpse and that he will be relieved when Season 6 airs, just because he wants to prove that he has been dead all along. Why you gotta be like that, handsome? I’m the first to acknowledge that Jon Snow is very much dead. You don’t get stabbed that many times and live. However, rumor has it that Melisandre will get her mojo back and resurrect Jon Snow. People are also wondering if Jon Snow is actually the reincarnate of Azor Ahai, an ancient figure that once drove out the white walkers thousands of years ago. To further back up this claim, they have been spotted on set…Jon Snow in brown, rocking a man bun, and Melisandre is chilling nearby. I don’t know what I’m more excited to see, Jon Snow alive or Jon Snow with his gorgeous hair in a man bun. All jokes aside, I am sincerely hoping that Jon is alive and I’m going to go out on a whim here and say that he will return, more powerful than ever. His story is just beginning.

With all these thoughts (and more) to have, there’s no question that Season 6 of Game of Thrones will be the greatest and twistiest one yet. One thing is for certain though, when it finally airs, we definitely won’t know what to think.

Megan Salavantis is a Siena College Class of 2018. Megan majored in English at Siena during those four years.