10 Student-Proof Ways to Dress Up Dining Hall Food

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

College, as we know it, is a big transition. Students are introduced to communal bathrooms, roommates, a new course load, and a new environment, but most importantly, new food! Having access to the dining hall for most of the day sounds like a good thing, but some of the dining hall’s food selections leave a lot to be desired. Fear not! If you find that your dining hall’s food is not your favorite, here are some ways around it.

1. Pizza Bagels

Image Source

Toast a bagel from the roll selection, grab some sauce from the pasta line and cheese from the salad bar, microwave it for a few minutes to have a poppin’ personalized pizza bagel!

2. Whip Up a Waffle

Image Source 

Pour waffle batter into a bowl and add infinite ingredients. Consider adding peanut butter, fruits, cheese, bacon, veggies, etc. Use the waffle maker to create a new breakfast favorite!

3. Accessorize Your Vegetables

Image Source

Get creative with celery! There’s always the dynamic veggies and ranch duo, but if you’re looking for something new, try spreading any variety of nut butter, guacamole or cream cheese on celery and adding edamame, peas, beans, goldfish, raisins, fresh fruit or even bacon for a savory twist.

4. Perfect the Pasta Bar

Make your own pasta salad! Take cooked pasta from the pasta line, add fresh or cooked vegetables, your favorite cheese, olive oil, salt and pepper and balsamic vinegar for a recipe even Strega Nonna would approve of!

5. Just Float on By

Image Source

Capture the fun of the float with your choice of soda (we recommend Dr. Pepper, root beer, cream soda or any kind of cola) and a scoop of vanilla ice cream! This way you’ll always save room for dessert!

6. Stress-Free Salads

Image Source

Big salad bars come with big responsibility. Use a bed of your preferred lettuce, spinach or mixed greens as a canvas and pile on the proteins, cheese, dried or fresh fruit, veggies and dressing to your heart’s content!

7. Be a Smart Cookie

Image Source

Make dessert A+ by personalizing a dessert sandwich with a scoop of your favorite ice cream and toppings wedged between cookies, brownies or waffles.

8. Rethink Rice

By experimenting with different sauces and seasonings, plain white or brown rice holds endless opportunities for flavor. We suggest adding steamed vegetables, sriracha, buffalo sauce, tomato sauce or even cheese.

9. Play With a Parfait

Image Source

Layer your favorite cereal with yogurt and fresh or dried fruits for an easy, customized parfait.

10. Top Off Your Toast

Image Source

Make your toast terrific by spreading anything from peanut butter and honey to sriracha and cream cheese on top. For your sweet tooth, consider placing fruits, trail mix, or even a chocolate drizzle on top of your base. For a savory slice, add veggies, beans, breakfast meat or even chicken!

Kiera Mitru is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, Kiera studied English.