10 Problems About the Holidays and Food Allergies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

The treats around the holidays are perhaps the most exciting part of the season.

To my gals with food allergies (yes, plural), it’s the bane of our existence. We look longingly at every tray of cookies and mug of eggnog, then sadly stare at our meals and wonder how horrible it would be if we snuck a bite of a donut.

With that being said, here are ten reasons why having allergies around the holidays sucks.

1. There’s eggnog at every function.

Gif Source

Milk and egg – two of the most common allergens – in a cold, alcoholic drink. Brilliant idea. 

2. Bringing a “safe dish” for yourself – and then having people asking for a bite.

Gif Source

IT’S MINE!

3. Receiving Hersey Kisses, toffee, peanut brittle, fudge, peppermint bark, candy canes, etc. – as gifts.

Gif Source

Seriously, what’s with that?

4. If I can’t eat a (insert dessert here) the rest of the year, what makes you think I can have a holiday-themed one? I’m just thinking that –

Gif Source

5. Gluten-free does not mean: dairy free, soy free, egg free, peanut free, shellfish free, tree nut free, corn free – do you get the hint yet? It means gluten-free.

Gif Source

A for effort, though.

6. You spend your time standing at the fruit and veggie platter at every holiday party.

Gif Source

7. Filling out dietary restriction forms before every event, and then being told they can’t accommodate you.

Gif Source

WTF did I fill the form out in the first place?!?

8. Playing the “what did I eat to cause this reaction?” game more than usual.

Gif Source

9. Unfurling the scroll of your allergies and symptoms when someone pesters you to try their Grandma’s fudge.

Gif Source

I’d rather not go to the ER, thank you very much.

10. Things are labeled less than usual.

Gif Source

Would it hurt anybody to keep wrappers?

Managing the holidays is hard enough, and food allergies can make it harder. Would some help be nice? Of course – we can’t modify old family recipes without someone lending a hand.

Happy holidays, everyone. Stay safe.

Thumbnail Source

Hannah Forbes is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Classics with a Writing minor.