Why You Should Be Thankful This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

Why You Should Be Thankful this Holiday Season

With finals quickly approaching, it’s hard to think of anything to be thankful. All you want to do is curl up into a ball, watch Netflix and have no responsibilities. But here’s a few reasons why you should celebrate around the table with your family this year.

1. You’re blessed with a college education- Congrats! You became one of the 69.5% (NY Times) Americans who went to college after high school. While some days you wish you had no homework, appreciate your education. Sometime you will land a job because of it and be grateful.

2. You live in a (somewhat) safe, free country- With the terrorist attacks going on in France, it brings you back to 9/11 and see how far our country has come. Even though the new security rules at airports can be a pain, at the end of the day they are made to keep us safe.

3. Mocking Jay Part 2 just came out!- Whether you are on Team Gale (my personal fav) or Team Peeta, it’s time to bring this trilogy to a close. Plus who doesn’t like an excuse to step away from homework and go to the movies?

4. Sheetz- Whoever built Sheetz right behind campus was an angel from above. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone there for a late night snack. Be grateful you live in a Sheetz zone and not the Wawa area.

5. The beautiful autumn trees- Every Fall the trees continue to amaze me with their vibrant colors. Aren’t you glad you can admire their beauty as you walk to class? Or step on their crunchy leaves while restraining yourself from jumping in that big leaf pile.

6. Mom’s homemade food- And lastly, as you go home don’t forget to savor mom’s homemade food that sure beats Ramen or even Reisner. All those years at home you took for granted the meals your mom prepared for you. Don’t forget to tell her thank you, steal a container of leftovers and make a run for it.

I'm Nicole! Nikki, Nic, anything you want to call me really. I'm from south-eastern Pennsylvania and I love life and beauty. Whenever I'm not writing or taking pictures for my blogs or social media accounts, you can find me (hopefully) at the beach surfing, traveling, making new friends and seeing new places. I'm in love with people I've never met and places I've never been to. I am currently a Senior (!!!) at Shippensburg University, majoring in Communications Journalism (focusing in Public Relations) and minoring in Psychology. I would love to work for a PR firm with advertising, event planning and perhaps a chance to travel. Thanks for reading!! - Nicole