When Panic! At The Disco Swerves You…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

When Panic! At The Disco swerves you…

Before I start, let me introduce myself a bit. I’m a junior at Shippensburg University that works for SUTV, our campus TV station. I’m a music junky for sure, so when we got word that Panic! At the Disco was coming to campus I was stoked. The day after I bought my ticket, I was sitting at the weekly SUTV meeting. One of the leaders was in charge of scoring an interview with BRENDON URIE (lead singer, if anyone didn’t know) so naturally after the meeting, I offered to assist her in any way I could. When she gave me the go, I immediately started brainstorming. Me, interviewing a celebrity! My dad was born and raised in Las Vegas, NV (which is where they’re from) and I vacationed there every year until I was 16, so I thought that would be neat to bring up. After I told my roommate about the opportunity, she warned me to look up prior interviews with Urie.

Whoa.

From what I retained, he’s a meanie… (for lack of a better word). Up until a week before they were scheduled to perform, there was no word back from his people. At that week’s SUTV meeting, his people emailed us back stating that Brendon Urie was DECLINING ALL INTERVIEWS from our student media.

You broke my heart. Really?

Obviously I was still going to the concert, especially because this was my first Panic! At The Disco experience. The band’s so musically talented that I brushed off the disappointment and patiently waited for Friday. So 8pm rolls around and the first two openers were…alright. I didn’t know either of them. After about an hour and a half, Panic! FINALLY walked on stage.

Wow.

I completely forgot about Urie swerving student media to jump around and sang along to every song, every word. Dude’s a phenomenal vocalist…I mean, they’re all phenomenal. He started off by apologizing for being “a bit mucusy” that night, asking us to bear with him. Mucus? He was hitting notes that gave me chills! To my surprise again, he tweeted post-concert:

Awe. I never thought I’d see him tweet about Shippensburg. I’m still salty about getting denied, but boy does that band know how to put on a show.

So, Brendon Urie. If you were to ever stumble upon this…EVER…just know that when I’m working for the big leagues someday I hope to interview you, FINALLY…and I hope you prove me wrong. ;)

Images are from Twitter and Google.

Julia Wiegand is a junior Communications/Journalism major emphasizing in Electronic Media at Shippensburg University with a minor in Theater. She's currently SUTV's main sports anchor and has sideline reported for football from 2014-2015. She’s originally from “northeast nowhere,” Berwick, PA. The open-minded music junky’s probably walking through campus with headphones in, but don’t let that fool you…she LOVES to talk. Her work weeks are spent in the library, video editing lab, or working for CUB Tech Crew, while weekends are reserved for adventure. She’s more than excited to relate to college girls everywhere through HerCampus and hopes to help or entertain whoever she can. “Ladies, it’ll all play out the way it’s meant to. Make beautiful things, even if nobody cares.”
I'm Nicole! Nikki, Nic, anything you want to call me really. I'm from south-eastern Pennsylvania and I love life and beauty. Whenever I'm not writing or taking pictures for my blogs or social media accounts, you can find me (hopefully) at the beach surfing, traveling, making new friends and seeing new places. I'm in love with people I've never met and places I've never been to. I am currently a Senior (!!!) at Shippensburg University, majoring in Communications Journalism (focusing in Public Relations) and minoring in Psychology. I would love to work for a PR firm with advertising, event planning and perhaps a chance to travel. Thanks for reading!! - Nicole