Top 5 Tips For Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

The warm weather has brought more than just good feelings, but thoughts about summer plans as well.  As midterm approaches, it is time to think about what you are going to do with yourself over the summer break and next semester.  You could get a part-time summer job or move back home, or you could study abroad.  Here are the top five tips for studying abroad through Shippensburg University.

1.)    Do your own research.

The International Studies Office can help you with your decision, but they cannot make it for you.  Do your research on the different programs that are available for what you are interested in.  Programs range from the arts to sciences and span the entire world, so make sure you narrow down what you want to gain out of a study abroad experience.  The hardest part is deciding what program to choose.  Once you have done that, everything else will fall into place.

2.)    Get everything in writing.

Syllabuses can change overnight, so be sure to run each syllabus for your courses abroad through the department at your home university to be guaranteed credit.  Even if the syllabus changes, you still have a written guarantee that your credits will not.  Be sure to get signatures from your advisor, department chair and dean to be extra safe.

3.)    Contact the International Studies Office.

Ensure you have an open channel of communication between the International Studies Office at your home university and your program provider for study abroad.  This way everyone is on the same page as to what your plans are and how to receive credit.  It is always a good idea to get information to as many people as possible to ensure your experience is successful.

4.)    Check the visa situation.

Make sure you are aware of the type of visa you are required to receive for studying abroad as well as the rules and regulations.  Chances are you may not be able to work abroad, so be sure to respect the visa guidelines to stay out of international trouble.  It is important to know your rights as a student abroad so you can stay travel savvy.

5.)    Take care of business before you go.

Before you leave for your destination, be sure to take care of all accounts in the U.S that require attention.  This includes cell phone contracts, bank accounts and email accounts.  Alert the proper authorities that you are leaving the country to prevent a hold being placed on your bank account or your cell phone bill running up.

Studying abroad is one of the best choices a student can make during a college career, so be sure to take advantage of it.  Enjoy the trip and stay safe.       

Anna Seils is currently an English major at Shippensburg University with a minor in Communication/Journalism. She is a campus correspondent for the Shippensburg University chapter of My Campus, head editor of the Ship Life section of The Slate and is an intern for a Gettysburg area magazine. She hopes to pursue a career in publishing.