A Thank-You Letter to My Middle School Play Directors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

A Thank-You Letter to my Middle School Play Directors

By: Marina Barnett

Dear Middle School Play Directors,

I’ve been thinking a lot lately, and I want to thank you. Thank you for not selecting me for your play. Thank you for rejecting me and crushing my middle school dreams.

You see, when I entered middle school, High School Musical was at its peak hype and I had dreams of becoming the next Sharpay Evans– dreams that you crushed. Not once, but twice. But again, I’m thankful for this.

I was so excited to try out for the play. I couldn’t wait to take the stage in my first school production. I imagined myself singing a solo while doing choreography across the stage in a leading role. But, I didn’t even get a call-back. The next year, I decided that not making the play once wasn’t going to stop me. So, I auditioned again. Once again, there was no call-back, no leading role… just an audition script that I ripped up.

I didn’t let the defeat stop me, though. Because of you, I started to do Community Theater. I learned the ins and outs of a play. I learned what the words “blocking” and “cheat” meant to the theater community. I took acting lessons. I learned stage directions, I learned how to project my voice, and even more, I learned that I was made to perform.

The next year I was at a new school. A whole new panel of directors sat in front of me as I auditioned. I knew that they were waiting to reject me, just like you did. I was too afraid to be rejected again, I didn’t want to audition. So, I made a deal with my mom that I would audition for this play and if I didn’t make this one, I wouldn’t have to ever try out for another play. I got up on the stage and shook uncontrollably and gave what was probably an awful audition.

I can remember walking up to the cast list a few days later, having prepared myself for defeat, when a friend said, “Look! Here is your name!” I still get excited when I think of that moment. To my junior high directors, I thank you, too. Without you, I never would have been in another play.

I had a minor part that year. The next year, I got to bring my dream to life by performing in High School Musical 2 as Taylor. Not Sharpay, but I would take a leading role that I had actually earned. The rest of my high school career I made plays and a lot of main parts.

My sophomore year of college, I signed up to take a children’s theater class. Even though I knew I would get a part, the nerves hit me like a brick as I got up to audition. I felt like the shaky, inexperienced sixth grader again.  I really wanted the lead of the play. I didn’t get it. I got the part of a minor character, which I could work with. A few weeks in and my professors called me. They were switching my role. I would now be the main character of the play. This was the very first time that I ever had the actual lead in a play. I was ecstatic. All of these years of working and perfecting my craft and I finally had the opportunity to show it off. To my professors who saw the light in me, thank you.

I have chosen a career path where I will have to audition time and time again for anchoring/reporting positions. This semester I decided to audition last minute to be an anchor for my school’s TV station. Once again, I told myself, “You’re not going to get it. There’s no way.” I auditioned and was as nervous as could be. I waited anxiously for the email to say, “Sorry, you were not selected this semester. Try again next time.” But the email never came. I was lucky enough to get the position of a desk anchor and I was so excited. Once again, I want to thank the student leaders who took a chance on me. Every Thursday broadcast I feel so excited to be on the air and to continue to practice for my future career.

So you see, I have thanked a lot of people throughout this letter. Not just you, my middle school play directors. However, you really deserve the most praise. If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t know what rejection felt like. I wouldn’t know how much harder I have to work for something that I really truly want. And I wouldn’t know that practice makes progress. I wouldn’t practice scripts over and over again or memorize lines. I wouldn’t know how much I truly love performing and that I wanted to go into a career that would include a type of performing every single day. So although I may still have hurt feelings when I think of seeing my friends perform in those middle school plays and having to watch them from the audience, I am overwhelmed with joy. If it weren’t for that initial rejection, I never would have made it this far. And for that, I thank you so very much.

I'm Nicole! Nikki, Nic, anything you want to call me really. I'm from south-eastern Pennsylvania and I love life and beauty. Whenever I'm not writing or taking pictures for my blogs or social media accounts, you can find me (hopefully) at the beach surfing, traveling, making new friends and seeing new places. I'm in love with people I've never met and places I've never been to. I am currently a Senior (!!!) at Shippensburg University, majoring in Communications Journalism (focusing in Public Relations) and minoring in Psychology. I would love to work for a PR firm with advertising, event planning and perhaps a chance to travel. Thanks for reading!! - Nicole