The Struggle of Being a Millennial Republican

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

By: Alyssa Riegel

No, I’m not voting for Donald Trump, so stop asking. Yes, I do still believe in the values of the Grand ‘Ol Party. You see here’s the problem… I’m among the few millennial republicans who still believe in old values.

I hate to scroll down my Facebook timeline and see posts about Bernie making everything “free.” I hate to see Internet memes about Hilary and her corruptness. I hate to see rants about how great things are going to be when everything is “free”. I hate seeing rants about how homophobic, racist and rich that all republicans are. I especially hate seeing rants about those who only seem to be political gurus every four years about the time of the presidential election. I quite frankly hate seeing it all over my Facebook page.

You see, growing up I had always hated the democratic point of view. I never believed in the welfare system. I never agreed with those who were perfectly able to work, but instead chose to abuse government programs and be “stay at home moms.” I never liked the idea of abortion. I didn’t understand why everyone was so adamant on banning guns. But most importantly, I couldn’t fathom why I had a job at 15 years old, but there were 40-year-old moms who thought that the world owed them something and that their kids deserved everything for free.

The idea of being a “millennial republican” means that most of our views stem from those of our parents and grandparents, but we have newer, more modern opinions on those views.

This means that while I’m all for the stereotypical republican views of supporting the second amendment, supporting pro-life choices, opposing increasing the minimum wage, opposing the Affordable Care Act and supporting the military and military spending, I also have some more liberal opinions. I am open to gay marriage and I think that marijuana should be legalized. However, when it comes to voting, I still vote conservatively.

To show you my reactions to things I see on social media, I’ve included some wonderful memes. Enjoy!

WHEN YOU SEE BERNIE POSTS ABOUT EVERYTHING BEING “FREE”:

WHEN YOUR FACEBOOKS FRIENDS WATCH ONE VIDEO AND SUDDENLY UNDERSTAND THE ENTIRE POLITICAL SYSTEM:

SEEING #FEELTHEBERN EVERYWHERE:

WHEN PEOPLE ASSUME YOU’RE VOTING FOR DONLAD TRUMP: 

WHEN YOUR DEMOCRAT FRIENDS THINK THAT THEIR OPINIONS AND VIEWS ARE BETTER:

WHEN DEMOCRATS SAY THAT THEY’RE THE PARTY WHO DOESN’T JUDGE BUT THEY’RE CALLING YOU A HOMOPHOBIC RACIST: 

WHEN KIDS YOUR AGE TRY AND TELL YOU WHY BEING A DEMOCRAT IS SO MUCH BETTER: 

Cat enthusiast. Traveler. Aspiring PR professional.
I'm Nicole! Nikki, Nic, anything you want to call me really. I'm from south-eastern Pennsylvania and I love life and beauty. Whenever I'm not writing or taking pictures for my blogs or social media accounts, you can find me (hopefully) at the beach surfing, traveling, making new friends and seeing new places. I'm in love with people I've never met and places I've never been to. I am currently a Senior (!!!) at Shippensburg University, majoring in Communications Journalism (focusing in Public Relations) and minoring in Psychology. I would love to work for a PR firm with advertising, event planning and perhaps a chance to travel. Thanks for reading!! - Nicole