One Woman’s Advice on Women Asking for Promotions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

By: Maggie Lawrence

The Secret Deodorant Stress Test campaign is taking the world by storm as it is currently a fairly viral topic of conversation. Their witty bathroom video clip is being liked, shared, and discussed all over social media and it is really difficult to hold back the “high-fives all around.”

The ad is empowering women, sparking conversation and action in reference to the gender wage gap, and promising that you will smell great through it all.

However, taking a step away from the campaign and into the real world, I spoke with the York Builders Association’s Communications Director, Katie Dennis, to see what advice she has for women in the workplace.

“Promote yourself,” she declares. “It’s not enough to just work hard. If you’re not getting noticed, get yourself noticed.” She goes on to say that even just talking about things you are working on with the right people can help shine some light on your effort and ethic.

Dennis finds that it has helped her to keep a running list of her accomplishments and successes as she goes along, not only for later promotion opportunities, but also just for jobs she may need to pursue in the future.

When going in for the initial meeting, Dennis says to make sure you have a plan. “It’s important to have thought out why they need you for this position, how valuable you are, and the work you have put in.”

This is where research is important. “Find out what the average pay is for your position. Consider all of the benefits offered, your commute, and the hours you’re putting in,” Dennis mentions. “Then create a pay you’d be happy with and an ‘out-of-this-world’ aim you’d be thrilled with. Ask for the out of this world first and if they can do that, great, if not you’ll hopefully come closer to the happy pay.”

However, Dennis says it’s important to know when you need an exit strategy as well. If they aren’t budging and you don’t feel that things are lining up or you have no option to move up – no job is worth being miserable.

Overall, Dennis leaves us with the notion that “it’s okay to feel vulnerable.” She goes on to explain that you can feel vulnerable and still be strong because that blend of both is what makes up courage. Dennis ends by saying, “A lot of women try to keep themselves out of vulnerable situations but it’s all about how you approach it. After all, those tough moments that throw you out of your comfort zone are what help you truly engage in life.”

I'm Nicole! Nikki, Nic, anything you want to call me really. I'm from south-eastern Pennsylvania and I love life and beauty. Whenever I'm not writing or taking pictures for my blogs or social media accounts, you can find me (hopefully) at the beach surfing, traveling, making new friends and seeing new places. I'm in love with people I've never met and places I've never been to. I am currently a Senior (!!!) at Shippensburg University, majoring in Communications Journalism (focusing in Public Relations) and minoring in Psychology. I would love to work for a PR firm with advertising, event planning and perhaps a chance to travel. Thanks for reading!! - Nicole