OK Ladies, Now Let’s Get… Professional?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

Professional? What is that? How does one be professional?

As we mature through our college years, the most important thing that we can become are professional young ladies. That means no more posting sloppy drunk pictures from the weekend, no more sub-tweeting other girls on Twitter, no more drama, no more immaturity allowed.

Becoming a professional woman takes time, but it starts with a few simple steps. Below, I have listed a small checklist of how to prepare yourself for being a professional adult.

Step 1: Create new social media.

Create social media that your grandma would love to see. Don’t most any messy, drunk pictures. Keep it clean. Follow media accounts in your field and share/retweet timely news.

Step 2: Be prepared

Being prepared is a lot of things. You should have a small stack of thank you notes on hand so that you can easily send out hand-written acknowledgments without having to always make a run to the store. Being prepared is also always having an up to date resume and portolio.

Step 3: Make networking a goal

No matter where you go, there is always some kind of opportunity for networking. You can order from Staples or other supplies stores and get a cheap set of business cards. Get your email out there, get your name out there, and be able to hand out cards.

Step 4: Make yourself marketable

Don’t be afraid to be flexible. You should be open to trying new things and be open to new positions. You may not be qualified for every single aspect of every job you apply for, but you should be open to learning new things.

Overall, becoming a professional is easy. Be open to new things. Network as much as possible. Dress for success and go for it! 

Cat enthusiast. Traveler. Aspiring PR professional.