I’m In College and I Don’t Drink?!?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

I’m In College and I Don’t Drink?!?

There are so many stereotypes associated with college kids, and I truly believe that one of the biggest is that we’re all belligerent drunks on the weekends (and sometimes the weekdays). I’m here to tell you that it’s perfectly okay to break that stereotype, and also perfectly okay if you fit that stereotype.

I personally don’t drink and I love watching the reaction on people’s faces when I tell them that. It’s crazy to think that being sober is crazier than being drunk in the eyes of college students. I don’t drink for many reasons: I commute (therefore I avoid the whole DUI thing), I am always working on the weekends, I hate the way it makes me feel the next day and I just simply can have fun without it – I mean have you ever been to a party and been the only one who remembers everything from it, because it’s pretty great.

I also have nothing against people that do drink, which is a stereotype that needs some light shed on it as well. No, I don’t think I’m better than you, I don’t consider myself a goody-goody, and I also am not going to judge you for your choices. I went through my party stage at quite a young age, therefore I guess I just got it out of my system. Drinking’s not against my religion, I just simply choose not to do it. I enjoy an occasional drink sometimes; I just choose to avoid the whole “partying” scene. Which is perfectly okay if you do, and perfectly okay if you don’t.

I think the world needs to readjust itself when it comes to college kids and drinking. Yes, some of us don’t drink and we are happy. And yes, some of us do drink and we are happy. In my eyes, if you are living your life happily, maintaining your grades and working your way up to being successful, it doesn’t matter how you do it. Drinking or not drinking doesn’t define you as a person. As long as you’re happy with your choices, that’s all that matters. After all, at the end of day, you answer to yourself, not others!

I'm Nicole! Nikki, Nic, anything you want to call me really. I'm from south-eastern Pennsylvania and I love life and beauty. Whenever I'm not writing or taking pictures for my blogs or social media accounts, you can find me (hopefully) at the beach surfing, traveling, making new friends and seeing new places. I'm in love with people I've never met and places I've never been to. I am currently a Senior (!!!) at Shippensburg University, majoring in Communications Journalism (focusing in Public Relations) and minoring in Psychology. I would love to work for a PR firm with advertising, event planning and perhaps a chance to travel. Thanks for reading!! - Nicole