ICYMI: 2015 Awards Show Season Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

41st Annual People’s Choice Awards

Hosted by Anna Faris and Allison Janney, co-stars of the television show “Mom,” the night kicked off with a few light hearted jokes but quickly went into the awards. As someone who does not watch awards shows, this seemed a bit mind-numbing at first. 

Although, seeing some of my favorite actors, anxious as to whether or not they were going to win their awards and the true happiness as these celebrities won, kept me watching.

The first winners of the night included Melissa McCarthy for favorite comedic movie actress and Adam Sandler for favorite comedic movie actor.

The show then switched over to the first performance by Lady Antebellum. The band preformed its newest single, “Freestyle” and got the crowd pumped for the rest of the evening with their upbeat performance.

The next batch of winners included Ellen DeGeneres for favorite daytime talk show host, Betty White for favorite TV icon, and Chris Evans for favorite action movie actor. Although, coincidentally, Chris Evans helped Betty White to the stage in a very gentleman like manner, grinning widely.

The next performer of the night was Fall Out Boy, with a lively performance of “Centuries” from its newest album. The stage was lit up with flashing screens and columns of fire, the crowd being revived with another performance.

The biggest award of the night, favorite humanitarian, was given to Ben Affleck for his work in the Congo. His charity, Eastern Congo Initiative, focuses on making changes on a smaller, community level, as to try and better the area. It was obvious that Affleck was humbled by the award and spoke more about the work itself than what he had done.

Other winners then included Robert Downey Jr. for favorite movie actor and favorite dramatic movie actor, Viola Davis for favorite actress in a new TV series, and “The Big Bang Theory” took home the coveted award for favorite TV show.

There was also a performance by Iggy Azalea, who, earlier in the night, won award for favorite Hip-Hop artist.

72nd Annual Golden Globe Awards

Hosts Amy Poehler and Tina Fey wasted no time zinging the crowd with jokes surrounding topics such as North Korea and “The Interview,” Bill Cosby, and even how the makeup Steve Carell went through for a role was equivalent to the time it took the co-hosts to get ready for the awards show.

The night kept up a light-hearted mood as Benedict Cumberbatch and Jennifer Aniston presented the first award, while Cumberbatch acted flustered presenting the award with Aniston. The first award went to J.K. Simmons, well known for roles in “Spider-man” and “Juno,” for best supporting actor in a motion picture.

Other winners included “Boyhood” for best motion picture drama, Eddie Redmayne for best actor in a motion picture drama in “The Theory of Everything,” Julianne Moore for best actress in a motion picture drama for “Still Alice,” Patricia Arquette for best supporting actress in a motion picture for “Boyhood” and Richard Linklater for best director for “Boyhood.”

The night was also filled with acceptance speeches that made the night feel more like social justice forum, tackling issues such as racism in today’s society (as well as past), the recent attacks in France, underrepresentation of certain cultures in the media and even rape survivors.

Although the Korean general gag joke seemed to fall a bit short. There were many uncomfortable laughs from the audience as it kept running through the night. The only plus from that gag seemed to be when Benedict Cumberbatch photo bombed the picture with Meryl Streep.

George Clooney also stepped into the limelight when accepting his Lifetime Achievement award. He used this time to make the audience swoon by dedicating part of his speech to his new wife, Amal, saying “It’s a humbling thing when you find someone to love, even better when you’ve been waiting your whole life. And when your whole life is 53 years, Amal, whatever alchemy it is that brought us together, I couldn’t be more proud to be your husband.”

Sarah is the founding editor of Her Campus Ship. She graduated in May 2015 with a B.A. in communication/journalism and a minor in international studies. During her undergrad career she completed a fashion internship at Girls' Life magazine and an editorial internship at Redbook magazine. After graduation, she is headed to Istanbul and Venice to write about food and culture as an intern in iei Media's foreign reporting program. Upon returning to the states, she plans on pursuing a career in publishing.