timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Get By When Life is Like a Blizzard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

How to Avoid Getting Buried in This Semester’s “Blizzard”

By: Marissa Merkt

By this point in the semester we are almost a month into classes, and although Punxsutawney Phil predicted an early spring, this winter can seem ending. With homework piling up and activities taking over your agenda, it can be hard to find to find time to relax. All this stress can make you feel like Blizzard Jonas is crashing through your life instead of just through your hometown. You may be desperately yearning to curl up under a blanket and binge-watch Netflix like you did over winter break, but it’s time to face reality. Here’s some tips to help you deal with the overwhelming stresses of college. Just breathe. Before you know it, summer will be here and you can catch up on all your shows.

Balance your lifestyle and your time

I recommend getting an agenda or keeping your schedule in your cell-phone calendar. There’s apps out there that help you keep track of your to-do lists. It’s good to keep your schedule organized and make sure you give yourself enough time to go from one activity to the next. Don’t bite off more than you can chew.

Relax your muscles. Let go of tension

Try not to sit in the same position for too long while studying. It’s good to get up and walk around or change positions so your muscles don’t get tight. Back rubs are a great way to destress. I hear yoga is great as well.

Eat healthy foods

Junk food may be your go to for when your stressed but it’s actually better to eat healthy foods. Shocker- I know. But eating healthy helps you avoid getting sick while your immune system is down from stresses. It also helps you glow more and avoid major breakouts from stress. Score!

Ask for help when you need it

Feel free to ask your professors for help if an assignment doesn’t make sense. That’s what they’re there for and why they have a certain amount of office hours. It’s also good to lean on a classmate or roommate for support. Or even call your mom to dish about your day. Venting can help get things off your chest.

Take a break

It’s easy to feel like your life is out of control when you’re staring at your computer screen for five hours, trying to finish your paper. Make sure to get up for a snack break or check your Instagram every now and then to help clear your mind. Just don’t take super long breaks or else you’ll be rushing to finish on time and be even more stressed out. “Cause now we’re stressed out….” (sorry twenty-one pilots reference there).

Handle stressful situations one at a time

Instead of getting overwhelmed by all the “snow” falling down on you, focus on one problem at a time. This way you not only dedicate all your time to solving the one problem, but you don’t get stressed out from all the other problems facing you.

Exercise regularly

Studies show that exercise helps relieve stress. If you’re in a time crunch, you can study while exercising. This helps you remember information better and kill two birds with one stone.

I'm a Junior Communications Journalism major at Shippensburg. In my free time I like to run, read, watch Netflix and spend time with God.
I'm Nicole! Nikki, Nic, anything you want to call me really. I'm from south-eastern Pennsylvania and I love life and beauty. Whenever I'm not writing or taking pictures for my blogs or social media accounts, you can find me (hopefully) at the beach surfing, traveling, making new friends and seeing new places. I'm in love with people I've never met and places I've never been to. I am currently a Senior (!!!) at Shippensburg University, majoring in Communications Journalism (focusing in Public Relations) and minoring in Psychology. I would love to work for a PR firm with advertising, event planning and perhaps a chance to travel. Thanks for reading!! - Nicole