This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

You are a strong, confident, independent woman; and you should have a career that reflects that! You haven’t spent the past four years of college working your butt off just to work a 9-5 job that you hate. You worked hard for that degree; so put it to good use! No matter what you studied in school, here are five ways to become your own #bossbabe!

1. Work For a Non-Profit

Find a company/cause you are passionate about and get to work! Whether it’s saving the dolphins, helping the homeless, feeding the hungry, or adopting a pet; there are so many non-profit organizations out there that would love your help! Once you find your niche, don’t hesitate to ask about career options within the company. For example, Pura Vida is a company that sells bracelets and apparel, which in turn keeps artisans in Costa Rica employed full-time. They even offer a rep program so you can sell your own bracelets and make a commission. Check out Pura Vida Bracelets and enter code “NICOLECAREY20” at checkout for 20% off your purchase!

2. Create a Blog

If you’re into fashion, home decor, hand lettering, photography, or D.I.Y projects, create a blog to showcase your passion! There are multiple blogging platforms online that are completely free, such as WordPress and Weebly. But, if you’re looking for a more professional route, check out Squarespace which offers multiple packages so you can find the right fit!

3. Make Your Own Merchandise 

Showcase your inner artist by making your own stuff! Pinterest has become a haven for D.I.Y projects, so even if you’re not quite a Frida Khalo, you can still get in on the action. Try making your own candles with soy and coffee beans. Make t-shirts with your favorite sayings, design your own jewelry, create flower arrangements. The possibilities are literally endless!

4. Sell Your Goods

Why not make a profit from your hobby? Sell those candles, t-shirts and more online! There are so many sites out there now that will let you sell goods from anywhere. Etsy, eBay, and Craigslist are just a few of the basics. Try Poshmark; a new way to sell clothes online! 

5. Own a Boutique 

Boutiques are popping up all over the place, and they’re completely on trend. Whether your boutique is a physical store, online, or a pop-up shop; it’s easier than you think to own a boutique. You can sell everything from old clothes to used games – whatever your aesthetic is, feel free to make it your own! 

There are so many ways to become a #bossbabe, you just have to find a platform that works for you! Don’t let your dream job slip away. Your goals are not out of reach. Just remember to think outside the box, and hustle. 

Nicole is a 2015 graduate from Shippensburg University with a Bachelor's Degree in Interdisciplinary Arts. Her areas of study include: communication journalism, music, and creative writing. She is currently living in North Carolina with her boyfriend, who is a second lieutenant in the United States Army. Nicole is a fashionista with a love for coffee, sweet tea, and puppies.
Cat enthusiast. Traveler. Aspiring PR professional.