Here’s Why Researchers Want Us to Drink Wine Before Bed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

Here’s why Researchers Want Us to Drink Wine Before Bed

By: Alyssa Riegel

OK, so maybe they don’t necessarily want us to… but they’re definitely proving that it’s good for us. So, that’s basically them saying that we should, right?

Here’s the idea. According to FoodandWine.com scientists at both Washington State University and Harvard have done studies to see what it is in wine that helps you lose weight.

In the study done at Washington State University, these scientists found that resveratrol (a polyphenol found in red wine) helps to turn stubborn white fat cells into brown fat cells that are more easily burned.

The separate study at Harvard observed 20,000 women for 13 years. After watching closing, scientists found that women in this study who drank two or more daily glasses of wine were 70% less likely to be overweight than those who did not drink wine daily.

As much as we’re all thrilled that wine helps you lose weight, I think we need to ask why it works. According to HealthyFoodHouse.com, The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry did a study with lab mice. They studied to see what is inside of grapes that make them work within the human body. They used the lab mice to feed them grape extract from red wine. These lab mice showed that when given this extract, they were less likely to store liver fat and also showed signs of decreased blood sugar levels.

Grace, a college sophomore at Widener University, said, “As a nursing student who also works out regularly, I am more driven towards drinking wine compared to beer or vodka. For me, it is important to stay in shape. I know that drinking hinders that, but knowing that there are scientifically proven benefits makes it a little easier to stomach.”

Overall, the science-y, health stuff is important, but what’s more important is that we can all drink wine every day of the week and feel no shame! So ladies (and men), grab your glass and fill it up! Today’s a great day to drink wine and lose weight!

Cat enthusiast. Traveler. Aspiring PR professional.
I'm Nicole! Nikki, Nic, anything you want to call me really. I'm from south-eastern Pennsylvania and I love life and beauty. Whenever I'm not writing or taking pictures for my blogs or social media accounts, you can find me (hopefully) at the beach surfing, traveling, making new friends and seeing new places. I'm in love with people I've never met and places I've never been to. I am currently a Senior (!!!) at Shippensburg University, majoring in Communications Journalism (focusing in Public Relations) and minoring in Psychology. I would love to work for a PR firm with advertising, event planning and perhaps a chance to travel. Thanks for reading!! - Nicole