This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

Freshman Dos and Don’ts

So, you spent four years of your life trying to fit in at a bigger school, trying to make new friends, and trying to stay on top of all the schoolwork. Now, as freshmen once again, we have the pleasure of doing it all over. Awesome!  We have to figure out how to fit in again and find all new friends, which by the way is one of the hardest things to do. Here are some freshmen dos and don’ts from a fellow “freshie.”

Do:

1.  Join a couple clubs. Join enough so you can have something to do.  Joining clubs is a great way to make some good friends!

(Plus, bonus! If you join a fun club, you may even get to make some of your own crafts for free like this DIY wooden photo frame!)

2.  Try new things. College is the time to experiment and discover more about who you are and where you’re heading.

3. Go to school events (Sporting events, movie nights, plays, etc.) Even if they seem a little weird, try them anyway. You never know what’s fun until you try it out.

4. Study each and every day. If there is time between classes, sit down and review the notes you just went over. The material will stick better.

Don’t:

1. Get so excited when you think you see a familiar face that you forget where you are and slam into a wall.  Yeah, I might have done that.  Ooops!

2. Try so hard to “impress” your classmates with thought-provoking responses that you miss the fact that the Professor wasn’t even speaking to you.  Ooops again!

3.  Be stuck in the past. Leave all the drama for middle school or the stage.

4.  Procrastinate. It will be your worst enemy and will always hurt you in the end. Give yourself time to revise those papers and actually learn the material for the test.

Good Luck!

Photos are from Google.

I am a sophomore in college and am majoring in Comm/Journ. I love writing, making art, playing the piano, and listening to music! I want to some day write for a magazine or newspaper. My ultimate goal is to work for "Rolling Stones" magazine!
I'm Nicole! Nikki, Nic, anything you want to call me really. I'm from south-eastern Pennsylvania and I love life and beauty. Whenever I'm not writing or taking pictures for my blogs or social media accounts, you can find me (hopefully) at the beach surfing, traveling, making new friends and seeing new places. I'm in love with people I've never met and places I've never been to. I am currently a Senior (!!!) at Shippensburg University, majoring in Communications Journalism (focusing in Public Relations) and minoring in Psychology. I would love to work for a PR firm with advertising, event planning and perhaps a chance to travel. Thanks for reading!! - Nicole