Captain America Winter Soldier Taps Dark Politics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

In today’s world of terrorists and corrupt politicians, Americans seek a hero to save them from all the animosity.  Although he is a fictional character, Steve Rogers, played by Chris Evans, fights for the justice of the people in Captain America Winter Soldier.  Throughout the film, there is a dark underlying theme of surveillance that is prominent in today’s political agenda.

One of these themes of surveillance is supported by the fictional organization SHIELD.  This organization operates perhaps in a similar way as the NSA today, and there were multiple instances warning others to beware of bugs in the walls and cameras on the streets.  SHIELD reinforced the idea of protecting Americans by pointing guns at everything that appeared to be threatening, and they had the means to destroy anything or anyone they targeted.  Although SHIELD operated for the protection of the people, it created a vacuum that induced terror in the nation and spawned fear from freedom.  Originally designed to eradicate evil, it succumbed to dark forces and became the evil it was trying to prevent.    

Another organization in the film related to historical events was HYDRA, the antihero and terrorist organization against SHIELD.  This organization possessed strong parallels to the Nazis of World War II Germany.  The catchphrase “hail HYDRA” has become an internet sensation through memes, and fans are observing the parallels closely.  One of the biggest relations to the Nazis HYDRA demonstrated was the medical experiments performed on prisoners of war.  This is where the Winter Soldier originated in the first place, and was also a massive dose of déjà vu for Captain America as he realized the modern world he awoke into was the same as he left it almost seventy years before during World War II, except now there were bigger weapons.  

Conspiracy theories aside, Chris Evans captured the essence of Captain America as he looked for justice in the contemporary age of technological advancements and unsustainable ideas.  Black Widow, played by Scarlett Johansson, fought alongside the protagonist with ample skill and motivation to eradicate corruption from the depths of dark leadership.  The chemistry between the two was believable and humorous, which was a needed contrast against the heavy theme of political unrest.   Nick Fury, played by Samuel L. Jackson, was absorbing to watch as he uncovered the truth of the organization SHIELD he once believed in.

The message of the film was political and dark, but much needed.  Oftentimes in the hectic rush of day to day life, people forget to read the news or think for themselves about topics they are passionate about.  Captain America Winter Solider reminds audiences not only to taste of the politics that shape their lives, but also to digest it.  Although the film is fictional, it presents engaging theories that contribute to discussions in today’s political arena.  The film was a beacon in the darkness of contemporary politics to reach audiences everywhere and spark questions as to exactly how much privacy one has.              

Anna Seils is currently an English major at Shippensburg University with a minor in Communication/Journalism. She is a campus correspondent for the Shippensburg University chapter of My Campus, head editor of the Ship Life section of The Slate and is an intern for a Gettysburg area magazine. She hopes to pursue a career in publishing.