This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

Be Aware, Protect a Life

By: Geena Gargano

We all know when it’s breast cancer awareness month, or silly days such as national donut day, but with May being the upcoming month, how many people know that May is national food allergy awareness month?  According to Food Allergy Research and Education, 15 million Americans are estimated to having food allergies.  The number of people having a food allergy is on the rise, it’s just unsure as to why.

I have been around food allergies my whole life – I just don’t have any.  My younger brother, who is now a senior in high school, has had food allergies since he was born.  Although he’s outgrown almost all of them, he is still allergic to dairy and tree nuts.

Most people do not understand what it’s like to have food allergies or to know someone with food allergies.  When my brother explains to people that he’s allergic to dairy he always has to explain what types of foods that includes.  His list usually consists of the basics: milk, cheese, yogurt and ice cream.  There are a lot more things included, even things you wouldn’t think of, but this list generally gives people the idea.

Growing up with my brother allergic to a lot of things has taught me a lot.  It has made me more conscious of what I’m eating and what is in what I’m eating.  I have also learned how to use an EPI pen in case something bad happens and he eats something with ingredients that he is allergic to.  Knowing how to use an EPI pen is a good skill because you never know when someone might need that assistance.

I asked my brother what he thought the most frustrating thing about having food allergies is.  He replied with, “The fear of eating out.”  When we go out to eat at different restaurants it’s very hard to trust what they will make him if we decide for him to order with us.  Usually my brother packs his own food but lately we have talked to the chef at the certain restaurant and provide them with a laminated card that has every ingredient that my brother is allergic to.

Food allergy awareness month bracelet reads: Food Allergy P.A.L. (Protect A Life)

Not only is eating out scary for people with food allergies, but something as simple as going to school can be scary too.  For example, in elementary school during the holiday socials that are arranged during the year, not all kids are able to eat the snacks provided but people don’t think about that.  Even the little things such as lessons that teach how to count could be an issue.  This is because teachers try to make it fun and use different cereals but all kids may not be able to eat what is provided, my brother having been one of the children with this problem when he was younger.

So next time you are in public with a bunch of kids or even meeting someone new at a party or a social with food, make sure you are aware and pay attention to what they can and cannot eat.  You’d be surprised with what types of ingredients are included in their “cannot eat” list.  It’s time to be aware.

I'm Nicole! Nikki, Nic, anything you want to call me really. I'm from south-eastern Pennsylvania and I love life and beauty. Whenever I'm not writing or taking pictures for my blogs or social media accounts, you can find me (hopefully) at the beach surfing, traveling, making new friends and seeing new places. I'm in love with people I've never met and places I've never been to. I am currently a Senior (!!!) at Shippensburg University, majoring in Communications Journalism (focusing in Public Relations) and minoring in Psychology. I would love to work for a PR firm with advertising, event planning and perhaps a chance to travel. Thanks for reading!! - Nicole