9 Things You Didn’t Know About The Vagina Monologues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

Shippensburg University will host its 12th annual performance of The Vagina Monologues this month, benefiting YWCA Carlisle. The performance is sponsored by Shippensburg University’s Women’s Center. This year’s production will be directed by Shippensburg University senior Kayla Fyfe. The production is based off the episodic play, which was written by Eva Ensler in the mid ’90s. Since its inception, The Vagina Monologues, has been performed at thousands of schools worldwide, sparking a feminist phenomenon.

There will be three performance dates: Feb. 19, 20 and 21. All performances will be at 8 PM at SU’s Memorial Auditorium. Doors open at 7:15. Tickets are currently on sale and can be purchased at the Shippensburg University Women’s Center (Room 132 Horton Hall) with cash or check. Advance tickets cost $3 for students and $8 for faculty, staff and community members. Tickets will also be available at the door costing $5 for students and $10 for faculty, staff and community members.

Whether this will be your first time seeing The Vagina Monologues or you are a longtime fan here are 9 thing you need to know:

1. It’s a Fundraiser 90% of the ticket sales and proceeds from the show go to support YWCA Calisle, the local rape crisis and sexual assault resource center. In the 12 years that the Shippensburg University Women’s Center has been hosting the TVMs, the show has raised nearly $15,000!

2. These are real women’s storiesEach monologue is based on the story of a real person or group of people. The author of The Vagina Monologues, Eve Ensler interviewed hundreds of women during the research and writing of the play. She stayed true to their words and passion when converting these interviews into monologues.

3. It’s not the same every yearThere are a core group of monologues that are preformed every year, but several special monologues rotate in and out of the show, so each year the performance is unique not only because the cast changes, but so do some of the monologues.

4. The V-Day revolution

The play addresses topics of violence against women. When the show was first performed in New York City and then later in other parts of the country and world, audience members were coming up to the author to talk about their own experience with sexual violence and domestic abuse. Moved by their stories and her own, Ensler founded VDAY, a global non-profit that used the proceeds from TVM performance to fund project that end violence against women and girls. Read more about the VDAY foundation here www.vday.org.

6. We honor Vagina WarriorsEach year the cast and crew of the show honor men and women in our community that work tirelessly to end violence against women and girls and promote the equality of women in society.

7. Cast of 26There are 26 students, faculty, staff and alumni in the show.

8. You can buy cool swag There will be fun stuff for sale in the lobby of Memorial Auditorium during the nights of shows. For just a few dollars you can buy chocolate vagina pops, buttons and the bookstore will be there selling Eve Ensler’s books.

9. Anyone can come!Everyone is invited to attend – women, men, faculty, staff, students, friends, alumni and community members. The show covers many themes and ideas, so there is something informative, entertaining and inspiring for everyone.

Editor’s Note: Stephanie Erdice from SU’s Women’s Center also contributed to this article.

Sarah is the founding editor of Her Campus Ship. She graduated in May 2015 with a B.A. in communication/journalism and a minor in international studies. During her undergrad career she completed a fashion internship at Girls' Life magazine and an editorial internship at Redbook magazine. After graduation, she is headed to Istanbul and Venice to write about food and culture as an intern in iei Media's foreign reporting program. Upon returning to the states, she plans on pursuing a career in publishing.