you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Ways to Totally Nail Your Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

Entering an interview can be a little bit scary. We’re here to help! Follow these 7 steps for better success at your next interview.

1. Dress to Impress

Definitely an obvious one, but so underrated. Over dressing is so much better than under dressing. It’s OK to be the person who shows up wearing a pants suit when your interview is wearing slacks and a sweater, but it’s not OK to be the person wearing leggings and a ratty shirt when they’re wearing business attire.

2. Bring Your Portfolio

No matter what job market that you are applying for a job in, you need to have something to represent yourself. Whether it be a binder full of references, a complete portfolio of presentable work, or a resume with a complete list of your professional social medias, you need something to present to your interviewer.

3. Make Direct Eye Contact

Always make eye contact with your interviewer. Eye contact makes you seem interested in what they are saying as well as makes you seem professional. Something as simple as holding eye contact can make you seem more mature.

4. Shake Hands

Upon arrival and upon leaving, shake their hand. Extend the hand shaking with a simple, “nice to meet you” or “thank you for taking time to meet with me.”

5. Try not to be the First Person to Sit Down

Most times, you will be invited into a conference room or an office to be interviewed. Do not be the first person to sit. You don’t want to take the interviewers seat.

6. Ask for Business Cards

The most formal and polite way to extend a “Thank-You” after your interview is a hand-written letter mailed to their office. Asking for a business card ensures you mail it to the correct suite and office as well as spell everything correct. A hand-written acknowledgment will have more of an impression than a general email.

7. Be Kind to Everyone

From the moment that you walk in the door, you are being judged. This means you smile and say “good morning” (or whatever time salutation is appropriate) to the person at the front desk, the people you see in the hall, and everyone you come into contact with. This doesn’t mean to stop and chat with everyone, but a simple smile will have a lasting impression. Chances are after you walk out the door, your interviewer will go around the office and ask the opinions of what everyone had of you. 

Hopefully the interviewer likes you and you’ll hear…

Cat enthusiast. Traveler. Aspiring PR professional.