5 Of Ship’s Best Kept Secrets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

Growing up in Shippensburg all my life, I’ve learned the best (and worst) things about the town. Here are 5 things most college students don’t know Shippensurg has to offer:

1. D’Lish Bakery

From breakfast to cupcakes, D’Lish always hits the spot! They specialize in custom cakes and cupcakes, but they also have delicious breakfast and lunch items as well! Nothing beats their sweet treats at reasonable prices! On Facebook, they received a 4.7 out of 5 review. They are located in the Shippensburg Shopping Center (conveniently near Planet Fitness). Any Shippensburgian would recommend them!

2. Cabin on King

The best ice cream parlor around! Cabin on King serves all types of sweet treats: scoops, shakes, sundaes, you name it, they have it! It is the perfect spot for an end of summer treat. They have outdoor seating with a beautiful view and even feature live music events. Cabin on King just opened this year, and it has already gotten to be so popular. Their Facebook page has around 2,000 likes and a 4.9 out of 5 review! Cabin on King is located right beside Turkey Hill on King Street. I would definitely check them out before the weather gets too cold!

3. Tiny World

A Shippensburg tradition! Tiny World has been around for over 20 years and is still thriving. It is another world of intricately detailed and decorated houses and lights with a Christmas theme. A local family’s hobby turned into a huge attraction for people from all over the state. They are open everyday through the season, but their main attraction is during Christmas and the holiday season. – The best part? IT’S FREE! It costs absolutely nothing to admire this family’s most prized possession, but they do accept donations as a way to keep the tradition alive. Find them on 6720 Rice Road; it’s definitely the perfect date for the end of semester!

4. Uprise Festival

One of the biggest (and loudest) weekends in Ship! Shippensburg hosts one of the biggest Christian festivals every year during September. Uprise Festival is a non-profit organization that has 2 days worth of music, good food, engaging speakers AND features over 25 bands/singers. Some of their biggest bands for this year are Relient K, Switchfoot, and Skillet. Uprise is so fun and so crazy – AND only costs $45 for an all weekend pass! They hold their concerts at the Shippensburg Fair Grounds. If you don’t get a chance to go this year, just drive past because you’ll definitely hear them!

5. BB’s Grocery Outlet Newburg

The cheapest grocery store around! They have the best deals and are extrememly cheap! Although it’s about a fifteen minute drive from campus, you save hundreds of dollars and can stock up for the semester at half the cost. Most of their items may be bent or have a dent here and there, but they have name brand products that are worth it. The locals call it “The Bent and Dent”. They are located on 20 Quigley Road in Newburg. I would definitely recommend tis to any college student wanting to save some money!

**Photos are from google**

I'm Nicole! Nikki, Nic, anything you want to call me really. I'm from south-eastern Pennsylvania and I love life and beauty. Whenever I'm not writing or taking pictures for my blogs or social media accounts, you can find me (hopefully) at the beach surfing, traveling, making new friends and seeing new places. I'm in love with people I've never met and places I've never been to. I am currently a Senior (!!!) at Shippensburg University, majoring in Communications Journalism (focusing in Public Relations) and minoring in Psychology. I would love to work for a PR firm with advertising, event planning and perhaps a chance to travel. Thanks for reading!! - Nicole