3 Things You Must Do in Ship Over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

Maybe you have your own apartment and have no need to drive three hours to crash at your parents’ place. Or maybe Shippensburg is your home. Or maybe you spent your gas money fund on Sheetz Pizzas and are stuck here until next semester. Whatever your reason is, fate has kept you in Shippensburg for December and January. While it may seem like all your friends are spending their breaks in exciting, exotic places like Selinsgrove or Lewisburg there’s actually a lot of fun to be had right here in Ship.

1. Open up at The Thought Lot

Every Wednesday, the art gallery/music venue/hipster hangout/generally cool place to be, The Thought Lot hosts an open mic night. Admission is $2 at the door. Acts include rappers, acoustic guitarists, poets and comedians. Whether you’re a first-time performer or a veteran to the stage, the Thought Lot is hospitable and welcoming. If performing is not your thing, just sit back on one of the lot’s comfy couches and enjoy the show.
37 E. Garfield St. Open Mic starts at 8 p.m., every Wednesday. Check facebook.com/TheThoughtLot for more information

2. Get Artsy!

Shippensburg may not seem like a cultural, artistic hub but it has a lot to  offer. Take your time off from classes to see it all. Stop by the SHAPE Gallery or The Thought Lot and browse the latest exhibits. Keck Computer Management and Café also has art on display from local artists.
Keck Computer Management and Café, 9 W. King St. facebook.com/keckcafe
SHAPE Gallery, 20 W. King St. facebook.com/Shapeart

3. The Anchor Drop

Photo by CeCe Serino

If you haven’t experienced New Year’s Eve in the square of Shippensburg, you have not experienced New Year’s Eve. Seriously, Times Square has nothing on us. While sometimes the nautical-themed everything in Shippensburg can get kind of annoying, this is one time it’s amazing. The square turns in to one big dance party, and 10 seconds before midnight an anchor is slowly lowered, bringing in the New Year! If you need a break from the cold, stop by University Grille for some warmth and good music from The Negley Brothers and Big Marge. Both bands will be playing on rotation on  New Year’s Eve starting at 8:30 p.m.
The Anchor Drop, the square on the intersection of Earl and King St.
University Grille, 32 E. King St., www.shipuniversitygrille.com
facebook.com/negleybrothers
facebook.com/bigmargeband

Sarah is the founding editor of Her Campus Ship. She graduated in May 2015 with a B.A. in communication/journalism and a minor in international studies. During her undergrad career she completed a fashion internship at Girls' Life magazine and an editorial internship at Redbook magazine. After graduation, she is headed to Istanbul and Venice to write about food and culture as an intern in iei Media's foreign reporting program. Upon returning to the states, she plans on pursuing a career in publishing.