The Unexpected Reason That I Am Loving My 9-5

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

When I first began my co-op position this September at a tech start up in beautiful Coal Harbor, I anticipated the usual September stress. Although the new beginnings that arrive with September’s cool air are filled with excitement, these new opportunities also come with increased busy-ness and stress; especially compared to the lazy and humid days of summer.

However, this year was different. Instead of getting back on that university grind and burying myself under a load of courses, extra curriculars, and events, I have the opportunity to step into the Vancouver workforce, and get a taste of what life might be like after graduation.

Striving for a more stress-free life is a common goal among students. For many of us, this may be the first time in our lives have we had to juggle so many things. Our grades, a part-time job, paying rent, building up our resume, participating in extracurricular activities, balancing a social life with the 8-9 hours of sleep we are supposed to be getting per night, staying healthy and exercising, etc. Needless to say, we have a lot on our minds.   

And I think some of us may fear that this all-consuming balancing act might not end after we graduate university. That once we join the work force we will be subject to a whirlwind of back to back meetings, stressful deadlines, and unmanageable bosses. We see this trope in movies and television show; but with new and innovative industries developing, the way that people work is changing.

The routine may be similar to that of a student – waking up early, getting down to work, drinking all the coffee – but one factor differentiates the co-op experience entirely from that of school: the 9-5 life is a lot less stressful.

From the very first day in my new job in tech, I have felt such wonderful vibes of community and collaboration. People are passionate about their work, but they also know how to take a step back and focus on their mental well-being, or just have some fun! I have participated in company-wide meetings where the CEO discusses relevant topics while we sip on mimosas and snack on Cartems donuts. We have had thanksgiving dinners, cultural potlucks, team building workshops, and weekly happy hours.

This participation in my company has shown me that there are indeed jobs and businesses emerging in the workforce that do care about the health and happiness of their employees, and further that it is up to us as prospective workers to seek out jobs that are beneficial to our wellbeing. Jobs that inspire passion at the office, and rejuvenation at home.

To put it simply, yes, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Once the term papers and final exams are finished we can emerge from university eager to become workers in a world where emerging industries put in the work to care for their employees.

Rebecca is a 3rd year Communications student with a passion for journalism, editing, media, and politics. She moved to Vancouver from Edmonton, AB in January 2018 & since then has spent her time discovering all the local breweries and coffee shops that Vancouver holds. Rebecca is a big book lover, a brunch junkie, and a country music enthusiast. As the Senior Editor for Her Campus SFU, you can probably find her pouring over articles from the wonderful SFU writers, with a coffee in hand.
.