Sophie Turner on Transferring Universities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

So, we all know that transferring universities is scary. There are forms and transcripts, acceptance dates, and everything else that you hated so much about applying to university in the first place. Once you get past that, there are new classes to take, a new campus to navigate, and new friends you have to work your butt off to try and find.

That’s why I’ve done this fun interview with Sophie Turner! (No, It’s not the girl from Game of Thrones) She’s a second year Communications student, who transferred to SFU from Langara: the top transfer institution in BC.

How long were you at Langara?

I was at Langara for about a year, so three semesters.

What made you choose SFU over all the other universities in the area?

I initially planned on transferring to Sauder School of Business (UBC) to pursue advertising and marketing. However, economics and math are not my forte, so the next best thing was a CMNS degree where I could dabble in a bit of everything. I’ve heard such great things about the CMNS program at SFU, so it made my decision pretty easy.    

What was the transition and transfer process like?

The transfer application was quite straightforward. I highly recommend meeting with an advisor! They will help explain the whole process to you and help to make sure you don’t miss any deadlines or necessary credits.

What has been the biggest change between the two schools?

The size! I still find it hard to navigate around SFU and to find my tutorials and lecture halls; it’s all so confusing. Thank goodness I can locate a Starbucks easily! The class sizes are much larger too. My first semester at SFU, I took a beginner Crim class and it was such a shock because there were about 350-400 people in this huge lecture hall with no open seats. It’s not something I was used to, coming from Langara, where my largest lecture was about 100-150 people.

What’s something you miss about Langara? What about something you DEFINITELY don’t miss?

Since the lectures were so much smaller and it was more of a “high school class” setting, I found it was much easier to meet people and make friends! At SFU, you definitely need to make the extra effort to get to know someone. Something I definitely don’t miss about Langara is going to lectures twice a week, haha. And there was no Starbucks on campus, which is shocking, I know!

What has been the best part about coming to SFU?

The range of classes! The class options are much larger. I also really like the downtown campus. It’s smaller, so easier to navigate, and if you have a break, there are so many things around that you can do, such as shopping and dining out.

What has been the hardest/weirdest course you have taken at SFU?

None of the courses I have taken have been too difficult. I’m finding CMNS 260 a bit of a challenge, but that might just be because it reminds me so much of statistics and econ… the courses I try so hard to avoid!

What was the hardest or weirdest course you took at Langara?

ECON ECON ECON! I just found it really challenging and it scared me. I’m interested in the more artistic side of business, such as marketing, advertising, and PR. If you are anything like me and numbers and stats aren’t your thing, CMNS is a great degree!

Photo provided by the interviewee

Noa is a fourth year English and Communications joint major at Simon Fraser University. She spends far too much money on tea and hot chocolate, and far too much time reading books.