Single on Valentine’s Day?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

The last 5 years I have spent Valentine’s Day with someone, this will be my first Valentine’s Day single, but rest assured I will not be alone. I am lucky enough to have a great group of girlfriends who are also single and I really can’t wait to spend the day with the people that really matter.  The pressure put on Valentine’s Day is ridiculous. It’s too much stress to find the right dress, find the perfect date place and obviously to find the perfect date.   If you are also single on Valentine’s Day, don’t worry about it, you don’t need to spend the day with a significant other. You can spend the day with friends, family and even by yourself and still have a great time.  Below is a list of activities you can do alone or with your friends this Valentine’s Day.  1. Go to a Spa Date

I am normally not a girly girl at all. Very rarely will you see my nails did and hair nicely styled. However, I occasionally do like to have a spa day. While it can be a little pricey depending on where you go, I truly believe it is worth it to spoil yourself and make yourself feel extra pretty when it comes to special occasions. Narcity has an amazing list of some of the best spas to check out in Vancouver, (link here:https://www.narcity.com/ca/bc/vancouver/things-to-do-in-van/7-great-vancouver-spas-spoil-50), however, my personal favourite spa is just outside of Vancouver. Valentine’s Day luckily falls on the same week as the reading break so if you would have a mini getaway I recommend going to Harrison Hot Springs Resort and checking out the spa there. It is guaranteed to a good time. 

2. Eat All the Fancy Food You Want

The best part about not having a date on Valentines Day is being able to indulge in all the food you want without the fear of having to impress anyone. I plan to eat until I can no longer eat anymore. I am going to stuff my face with all the carbs I can find and then wash it all down with a glass of my favourite wine. Also just because you don’t have a date, it does not mean you have to stay home and eat take out, you can totally throw on your favourite dress and head to any trendy restaurant in town to enjoy a nice meal. I highly recommend going to Rouge in Gastown, Jinya Ramen on Robson and checking out Meet in Gastown. Go by yourself or with your friends, either way, you are bound to have some great food and a great time. 

3. Movie Night

There are some amazing movies are heading to theatres this Valentine’s Day, like 50 Shades Freed, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and The Maze Runner: The Death Cure. If going to the movies isn’t for you, you can also binge on Netflix in the comfort of your own home by yourself or with some friends. My favorite romantic movies are anything based off a Nicholas Sparks book (The Notebook, A Walk to Remember, The Last Song, etc.), The Titanic, The Corpse Bride, 50 First Dates and of course anything directed by John Hughes (16 Candles, Pretty in Pink, Breakfast Club) and the list goes on. There are countless options of movies available to watch whatever you are into.

4. Treat Yourself

Who says you need to go out and do something is Valentine’s Day? There is nothing wrong with staying at home and having a relaxing evening. Nothing is better than spending the whole day in your pyjamas and doing whatever you want. My favourite way to treat myself is to spoil myself online shopping.  Other ways to treat yourself include making some fancy tea, reading a new book, cooking a nice dinner, playing video games for hours, what your heart desires. Do whatever you want and enjoy yourself. 

Valentine’s Day does not only have to be for couples. All the single people out there can enjoy this day as well, loving themselves. Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!

Amneet is a 4th year communications student at Simon Fraser University. Born and raised in the city of Surrey, she loves the sound of rain, in fact she listens to rain sounds every night to help her sleep. Her favorite past times include: reading, binge watching Netflix shows and perfecting the art of sarcasm. You can get to know her more by following her Instagram: amku2500.
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa