Shop Local: West Kootenay Favourites

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Lately I have been slightly obsessed with discovering new local gems, whether it be at home in the Kootenays, or here in the Lower Mainland. However, in this post I want to share a few of my favourite small businesses that I visited on my trip home over the holidays.

1. Cartolina’s – Nelson, BC

This store is probably my favourite store in Nelson. My obsession started when they first opened and I discovered their vintage maps in the back room. Some of these maps are available to purchase, and many are copied into smaller versions and sold as well, and I am guilty of owning what some may think is far too many. Aside from the maps, this store sells its own locally made cards and phone cases, as well as many knick knacks, home decor, beauty products, locally made clothing, etc. Cartolina’s website describes the store as “an inspiring world of curiously unique product and design”. A must buy at Cartolina’s is the new and locally made coffee brand, No.6 Coffee Company, with their original blend, “Cartolina Blend”.

2. Maison – Nelson, BC

Maison has long time been another favourite of mine and I have become a frequent holiday shopper here. From home decor, to kitchen ware, journals, and knick knacks, this store contains absolutely beautiful products and is definitely a local must-see. Maison’s website describes it as a “locally owned and operated business” with “all the urban chic style with the perfect combination of casual, country decor”.

3. Backwoods Brewing, Nelson BC

This was my first time at Backroads, as it is still a fairly new business. Having been in a relationship with a craft beer fanatic for nearly a year, I have grown to be quite a fan of craft beer, rather than just Budweiser alone. This being said, my beer snob boyfriend and I loved it here. My personal favourites were the pale ale and dark lager.

4. Deadwood Junction – Greenwood, BC

This Cafe is amazing. Plain and simple. Nearly every single time I drive to or from the Kootenays, I make a point to stop in here for a coffee. Deadwood carried a local Kootenay brand of coffee and one of my favourites, Oso Negro from Nelson (check out their Purcell blend, it makes unreal espresso). Deadwood also carries locally made goods from Kootenay artisans, as well as antiques and gifts.

SaveSave

SaveSave

Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa