The Schedule: How They are Changing SFU’s Social Scene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

For this interview, I sat down with some of the guys from The Schedule, SFU’s Party Calendar, and talked to them about the impact they hope to make—and are already making—on the social scene at SFU. With over 2, 000 likes on Facebook, The Schedule is becoming the social hub for information on SFU activities, ranging from parties to club fundraisers to sporting events. Through another organization on campus called Brooked Events, these guys have also put on SFU’s biggest club nights downtown, selling out Celebrities and Fortune twice. These events were some of the biggest off-campus events to ever take place. We may think SFU isn’t a school with a big social scene, but things are definitely changing, partly thanks to Brooked and The Schedule.

So, what exactly is The Schedule and why was it created?

“The Schedule is basically a social hub for SFU. We were up on campus a lot. We looked at the social scene up here and it wasn’t the strongest, so we looked at what our school needed. As a student, how would you find out about an event, a party, or anything unless you knew somebody? There was really no way of doing that, so we thought of creating one organization that presents that information to all of SFU. It collects all of the information from all the different communities on campus and puts them together.

One thing about SFU is people think that it is a very, sort of dead campus, but there’s actually amazing stuff going on. The difference is that it’s very separated, and the things are a little bit smaller scale. So, what we aim to do is to collect all those things together and show everyone what is happening, so all these communities can connect and work together to create a social scene that provides a better overall experience for students.”

What are The Schedule’s main goals for the party scene at SFU?

“Just to increase it. And we’re not just focused on the party scene but the whole social scene. So, if you’re not into parties, but you want to be involved up on campus, and if you want to go to cool things like laser tag or a quidditch match or anything like that, we provide you with the information to do that. SFU’s online presence isn’t the strongest and there are a lot of cool things that happen that people just don’t know about.”

What do you hope SFU’s social environment will be like by the time you graduate?

“Hopefully, the students will be more inclined to participate in activities together and be more optimistic in regards to school culture that will continue to build up as we graduate and new students come in. There is amazing stuff here, but people just don’t make the effort to come and check it out. We think the general pride in our school isn’t at the level it should be at—which it is more than deserving of— and that’s what we we’re trying to change. We want to show that our school is awesome. There has been a lot of people from our school, like athletes or alum, that do unreal things that people just don’t know about. There are no media outlets you hear about.”

If someone wanted to get involved with Brooked or The Schedule, how would you suggest they go about doing that, and what sorts of positions and people are you looking for?

“We are looking for ambitious people who are ready to do some cool things and are ready to put in some work. Experience is not required, but as long as you have the right mentality and are ready to put in that work, then we want to hear from you. We still feel like we’re in the beginning stages and we are creating that structure right now. So, we need a lot of people for general logistics, event planning, photographers, videographers, graphic designers and DJ-ing. The end goal is to not just create a party scene on campus but to create a collective of SFU students who want to make a difference.

One of our pillars is that, since we are not focused on the financial aspect, we are focused on doing amazing stuff and putting out work that is just as good as—if not better than—industry standard.

So, if you are ready to work hard, are ambitious, and want to do some cool sh*t, holler at us!”

If you are a student who wants to get involved, you can email theschedulesfu@gmail.com to apply!

And if you represent a club on campus and are interested in partnering with The Schedule, feel free to shoot them an email as well.

Sarah is a third year student at SFU with a major in Communication and a minor in pumpkin spice lattes. She loves her Boston terrier, Harley, and is looking forward to adopting many more rescue puppies throughout her lifetime. She is your basic white girl and loves caffeine, blanket scarves and watching Grey's Anatomy. BC born and raised and with a special place in her heart for Ottawa, Sarah hopes to one day explore Canada and take in all the beautiful sights the country has to offer.
Deborah is an English major and Linguistics minor with a mild Peter Pan complex. She is an avid tea-drinker and shower singer whose favourite pastime is napping. Her goal in life is to one day touch Harry Styles's hair.