Role Models of the Ages

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Do you lack motivation? A new role model may be the cure for you.

Role models are a great source of inspiration and knowledge. Perhaps you already know someone who has accomplished a difficult task, or who has overcome a troubling issue within their lives. These people make some of the best role models to look up to, as difficult times can call for a greater need of inspiration and positivity. As a student, it is beneficial to have at least one role model to look up to, so that you will be able to better reflect on where you want to be in life, or what you want to accomplish.

Key takeaway: Get yourself at least one role model.

Do you already have one or more role models? If so, I would love to hear about them in the comment section below! If not, I discuss four of my favourite Role Models of the Ages below. Cue inspiration:

1. Gisele Bündchen

Gisele Bündchen. Übermodel. Actress. Singer. Activist. Mother. Wife. I already knew all of this because I follow her Instagram page, but I know that you will all be impressed. According to Gisele’s website, she has been working since the age of 14, and grew her brand from the ground up. Nowadays, companies don’t want her to be their model; they want her to build their brand. Yes, Gisele has established a powerful brand, where she credits her positivity and activism for its success. During her spare time, she volunteers for environmental causes, such as her family’s very own Clean Water Project. Shortly after starting this project, she was named Goodwill Ambassador for the Environment by the UNEP.

“Dreams drive us; that’s why it’s so important to never stop dreaming.” – Gisele Bündchen

Key takeaway: Always be positive and never stop dreaming.

Author’s note: Dream BIG while you’re at it!

1. Britney Spears

Britney Spears. Miss American Dream herself. My favourite Mickey Mouse Club member. This singer, actress and business woman started her career at the tender age of 11, where she quickly grew into a pop superstar. With this fame came continuous camera time and paparazzi. Finally, on February 21, 2007, Britney stood up for herself against paparazzi who were stalking and harassing her. Since then, she has put a larger focus on her mental health and her two sons, while continuing to break Billboard charts. You want a piece of her? I bet you do considering she’s worth $185 million USD.

Key takeaway: Always get up after you fall.

1. Charles M. Schulz

Charles M. Schulz. Now, his story made me cry. As the creator of Peanuts, Schulz knew he wanted to be a cartoonist at an early age. At 15, one of his family dog drawings was featured in Ripley’s Believe It or Not!. Subsequently, one of his art school teachers told him that his cartoons would never be publish.

After high school, he worked odd jobs while submitting his cartoons to publications, until he was drafted for the U.S. Army in 1942. Shortly after, his mother passed away from cervical cancer. Fortunately, Schulz received his big break in 1947, when his original Charlie Brown and Snoopy comic, “Li’l Folks,” made its debut.

Throughout his life, he had feelings of anxiety and depression. Nevertheless, he accomplished much more than any other cartoonist. By the time of his death in 2000, Peanuts was available in over 2,600 newspapers in 75 countries, and he had produced over 18,000 comic strips. He is now the second-highest paid dead celebrity as of 2016.

Key takeaway: Never let anyone tell you that you’re not good enough.

1. Rosa Parks

Ahh, Rosa Parks… my personal favourite. This beautiful soul used her courage to do something terrifying: the right thing. On December 1, 1955, Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on the bus to a white man. Back then, municipal buses had a policy where African-Americans had to sit or stand at the back of the bus. This segregation was part of Montgomery, Alabama’s law. When Parks refused to give up her seat to a standing white man, two police officers approached the bus and took her into custody.

“People always say that I didn’t give up my seat because I was tired, but that isn’t true. I was not tired physically… No, the only tired I was, was tired of giving in,” Rosa wrote in her autobiography. She was tired of the racism, segregation and unequal rights in America, so she stood up for herself. The rest is history.

“No.” – Rosa Parks

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Key takeaway: Always stand up for yourself.

Author’s note: Bonus points if you stand up for someone else. Gold star if you stand up for someone else who otherwise cannot stand up for themselves.

Sarah is graduating from SFU's Beedie School of Business after six years of studying marketing, human resources and international business. In her spare time, she volunteers to support other students' learning of business communications and at Greater Vancouver Board of Trade events. Connect with Sarah through LinkedIn or Instagram.
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa