The Pros and Cons of Tindering During Lecture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

CON: Proximity of other humans: you ever have that one guy in the front row of the lecture hall playing solitaire on his laptop and all you end up doing the entire lecture is the fruitless activity of mentally trying to beat Solitaire Dude at his own game? Well, when all you do is swipe in class, you become Tinder Girl.

PRO: Proximity of potential matches: Go ahead and narrow down your radius settings because you will still have a plethora of singles in your age group at your fingertips. This makes finding a mutually convenient meeting place pretty easy when you can narrow the choices down to coffee shops on campus.

CON: Your match could be in your class: while this initially may feel like a pro as you envision looking to your right at the man of your dreams swiping you and then you both live happily ever after, swiping your classmates while in class with them could actually result in some various levels of awkward. If you do not end up talking on the app, then you will probably make awkward eye contact every week. If you do end up talking, you should hope things work out until at least the end of semester.

PRO: Common interests of potential matches: Chances are your matches will be fellow students (do NOT swipe your hot TA– it’s a disaster waiting to happen), so striking up a conversation over the app becomes a lot easier. If this person is also tindering during lecture then he/she might just be the one.

CON: Accidental swipes: Let us all take a moment to cringe together and remember every swipe that we did not mean to make. Doing this during lecture means that you could accidentally swipe an acquaintance. Even worse, your accidental swipe could be the guy who asked to borrow your pen two weeks ago and who never gave it back. Next thing you know you are three dates in and all you can think about is how to bring up your perfect gel tipped pen that he once failed to return to you.

PRO: You are actively expanding your social life: You are getting out there and taking the world by storm one swipe at a time. Are we really all that different from Sims characters? You are filling up your social needs for the day.

CON: You are not making adequate notes while doing this.

PRO: It’s something to do… other than making notes.

Taylor is a fourth year undergraduate student at Simon Fraser University. She is acquiring her BA, with a major in World Literature and an extended minor in Visual Arts, while currently residing in Surrey, British Columbia.
Terri is currently a fourth-year Communication major at Simon Fraser University and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SFU. Hailing from Hong Kong and raised in Vancouver, she has grown to love the outdoors and mountains of BC. Her favourite pastimes are reading historical fiction, hiking, lying on the beach drinking mojitos and attempting to snowboard. You can get to know her more on Instagram and Twitter at @terriling.