Pros and Cons of Being a Night Owl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

It’s an early bird’s world. Mornings are aligned with school and work schedules that occupy most of the week. In the media, many stories discuss the advantages of this lifestyle and how to achieve it. As a late riser, I struggle to identify with this routine. My days begin with multiple alarms, several yawns, and a silent plea for coffee. For my fellow night owls, here are some perks and struggles we can relate to:

Pro: It’s quiet.

The streets are empty and social media feeds have slowed down. Late nights are the perfect time to unwind. You aren’t scheduled to be anywhere and few people are awake to contact you. Finally, you can curl up with a good book or binge-watch your favourite Netflix series. It is also a good time to focus on your work. With fewer interruptions, it is easier to concentrate and be productive. In a society that’s constantly on the go, you learn to treasure these pockets of solitude.

Con: It’s too quiet.

Every sigh and footstep is amplified. Craving a late night snack? Get ready to tiptoe towards the kitchen, avoiding every piece of furniture on your way. You don’t want to wake up your roommates or family members. Also, what was that strange noise? Your mind replays every horror movie you’ve seen and every haunted house you’ve visited. While the night can be peaceful, it can also be dark and full of terrors.

Pro: Creativity strikes.

Although morning people can be equally creative, the stillness of the night creates an ambiance for inspiration. This peace can put you into a reflective state. With fewer distractions in your environment, you become more conscious of your thoughts. Your mind wanders beyond the conventional, making random connections until ideas emerge. Your inner artist, writer, or innovator comes out to play.

Con: But not when it’s needed.

Exhausted from the night before, you struggle to think of ideas the next day. You’re silent during a brainstorming session. You’re stumped when a professor unexpectedly asks you a question. You stare blankly at an empty page or canvas, unable to harness your creative potential. Like the rest of you, your brain is sharpest after-hours.

Pro: You learn to be flexible.

The world runs on a morning person’s schedule. You push yourself to attend that 9 a.m. class, morning meeting, or opening shift at work. To accommodate this lifestyle, you learn to welcome changes in your usual habits. You optimize your morning routine so that you can hit snooze, eat breakfast, and get dressed without being late.

Con: You are very, very tired.

You may adapt, but at the expense of your comfort. Adjusting to morning schedules often means sacrificing sleep. You walk around the next morning with heavy eyelids, a not-so-perky attitude, and a large-sized coffee. Yes, you can function, but not at peak performance. Whoever said sleep is for the weak is clearly wrong.

Pro: Bonding with other night owls.

Without the distractions of daytime routines, conversations can flow more smoothly. There are fewer activities at night, so you can focus on what people say rather than what they do. You can bounce ideas off each other or dive deep into personal talks. It is said that people tend to be more honest at night. Conversations are less inhibited when you’re too tired to rethink your message before pressing ‘send’.

Con: They may not be the ones you wish to talk to.

Night time can be lonely. If your friends are a flock of early birds, you are left alone during the late hours. There may be things to share but no one to share it with. You’d have to wait at least another eight hours for a reply. By now, your friends are used to waking up to your stories, questions, ideas, and other late night ramblings.

Pro: You can stay out later.

You likely have the energy to meet friends in the evening. It is easier for some night owls to enjoy dinner or drinks after class. Among young adults, many social events happen after-hours such as concerts, parties, and sports games. Therefore, there are more opportunities to expand your social circle. While the early risers are ready to call it a night, the fun continues for you. You rarely miss out when you’re among the last ones to leave the function. You also earn the responsibility (and relief) of ensuring that your friends got home safely.

Con: Morning plans are a problem.

You wake up early when you have to, not when you want to. On your day off, you’d gladly spend an extra hour or two in bed. As a result, you miss morning delights that early birds enjoy. Morning hikes are a rarity. You seldom see a sunrise or hear birds chirp as the world wakes up. Breakfast dates are a foreign concept and if you’re lucky, you might make an appearance at brunch.

Night owls and early birds may come from separate worlds, but one isn’t necessarily better than the other. At the end of the day, every mind and body is different. Fighting your body’s internal rhythm can be unhealthy and counterproductive. The trick is to know your needs, habits, and how they fit with the lifestyle you want to have.

Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa