This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Fall marks the season filled with many comforting attributes. It’s the time of thanksgiving, gorgeous colors, sweater weather, pumpkinspice-everything, and many other aesthetically pleasing features (that we all proudly love to showcase on our Insta-feeds). Falling right at the end of the month is, Halloween, and believe it not, there more to it than just creative costumes and candy!

For my millennials, I argue that October 31st has become the ultimate “Throwback Thursday”. Whenever thinking about Halloween, my thoughts always trail down a path that leaves me reminiscing about my childhood.  Halloween: it’s for kids only. I believe that it gives us, young adults, the opportunity to embrace the kindred spirit that we have once had. Plus, we all know that free candy is hard to reject at any age.

I’ve never been one to go out of my way to out of my way to be spooked. I still have vivid memories of being scared by a man dressed in a mummy costume when I was four years old. That was it for me and trick-or-treating that year; I didn’t even make it past the seventh or eighth house. After gaining those spooky memories, I found myself avoiding anything too scary for many years. It’s only in recent years that my memories have faded enough to allow me to find the thrill in haunted houses and horror films, scary corn mazes.  

Opting to skip the spooky movies and events as a child, brought other fond fall traditions that I still link to Halloween.  Beginning with pumpkin picking. More often than not, as an adult, trips to the pumpkin patch are now replaced by trips to the grocery store. I’ll always remember the search for the best pumpkin in the field. Selecting a pumpkin became a delicate task. It was far from one-size fits all approach. After finding my definition of pumpkin perfection the next step was going home and scooping out the inside. I still love carving goofy faces, but the appeal isn’t the same. That’s quite alright. Thanks to my increased carving skills, the glow up of my pumpkins are far more impressive to look at.

I can’t forget entertainment either. Watching Halloween specials on is a tradition I keep up to this day. There’s absolutely no shame in re-watching Hocus Pocus, or the Disney Channel Original, “Halloweentown” (along with all the sequels). Maybe you’ll throw in a couple horror movies if you can handle it. Either way, the essence of festive films is something to embrace around the themed night.

Moving onto attire, dressing up for trick-or-treat excursions have turned into, dressing up for a night out at a party. The innocence in our costumes often gets left behind the older we get. There’s always room to find excitement rummaging around an old costume box, or visiting the nearest costume shop and thrift store. Now’s the time of year that you can go back and be the Disney Princess, you loved. Sport the superhero that you saw in theatres, or dress up as an animal that you cherished so dearly. The best part is, it’s the innocent joy that embodies the characters we become that made costumes so special. Maybe the dream of recreating a character is less satisfying than it once was, but costumes can be just as fun now. Go back to the days that you weren’t shy about dressing up. Adults get a free pass of encouragement to be silly and creative. I’m sure I won’t be the only one searching up last minute DIY group costumes on Pinterest.

Once I graduated out of trick-or-treating and become the one handing out the candy the day lost its appeal for me. Sweet treats still taste good, and Halloween is likely the only time of year that Candy Corn taste so good that you crave it.

Speaking of candy, Trick-or-Treating was the highlight of the whole night. The quest for candy was a mapped-out event; a mission with one goal of stocking up on sweets for the year. The objective was always to find the houses that gave out handfuls of candy. Or the ones that graced your big pillowcase with full-sized candy bars. Halloween made for the perfect e excuse to load up on as much as you can and, then hide your candy form you. I remember the satisfaction that would follow collecting bag full of candy. Nothing beat the feeling pouring out your loot after a night of long work.  The colorful packing, the endless sugar, it was dreamy. Sorting my candy would be the next step. I would pick out my favorites, and try to trade or get rid of anything I wasn’t too fond of. Alas, my Halloween mission would be complete, and I’d even start thinking of costume ideas for next year.

Has my short trip down memory lane inspired you to take a journey down your own? What are you waiting, don’t be afraid to let the kid in you get creative with all-things Halloween this year? Go out and have a Happy and Safe Halloween!

SaveSaveSaveSave

SaveSave

Samantha is a fourth-year student at, Simon Fraser University, pursuing a double major in political science and communication. When not keeping up with what's new in pop culture, Samantha can often be found sipping on Starbucks drinks, or enjoying one-too-many YouTube videos. Aside from writing for Her Campus, Samantha's passion for fashion, fitness, and nutrition is what keeps her going through the week. She's self-motivated, friendly, and never turns down a cup of tea and a nice chat!
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa