My Fantasy Hockey Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Since the hockey season just started, I’m slowly easing back into the routine of watching games. Being the not-hardcore-but-definitely-not-bandwagon-hockey (more like Canucks) fan that I am, I took the liberty of making up my own fantasy team based on my criteria, which is half the size of a regular roster and tends to have a heavier emphasis on looks over skills (call me shallow, but when you’re not a hardcore fan of the sport, a good way to get into it is to at least find those who are easy on the eyes).

Come take a look at my team and let me know how many you agree/disagree with!

FORWARDS

First Line:

Johnny Gaudreau – Calgary Flames

I first noticed Johnny Gaudreau during the Canucks’ playoff series against the Calgary Flames in 2015. Amongst the players that stood out to me during that series, Johnny and his baby face was the only one that didn’t irritate me. He’s also a really good player, tying for sixth in scoring in the ’15-’16 season with 78 points in 79 games played. Plus, he’s tiny in comparison to other NHL players standing at 5’9 and weighing only 157 lbs, which makes him a pretty perfect height for a shorty! 

Bo Horvat – Vancouver Canucks

Bo Horvat has been one of my favourite new Canucks ever since he skated onto my radar during his first ten NHL games back in 2014. It’s hard not to like a guy like Bo – quiet, confident, hardworking; many people see him as our future captain already, and he’s only 21. Oh and did I mention that Bo has a cute dog? Automatic bonus points.

Patrick Kane – Chicago Blackhawks 

Patrick Kane is one of the most dominant American players to play the game, helping lead the Chicago Blackhawks to 3 Stanley Cups in 6 years, but that’s not how I noticed him. The first time I saw him, the only thing I could think of was his shocking resemblance to Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen), but I later found out that the striking resemblance is only there half the time…

Second Line:

Brandon Pirri – New York Rangers

Brandon Pirri has been part of quite a few teams, from Chicago, Florida, Anaheim, New York, and finally, my team! Establishing several career-highs last season, here’s to hoping New York will be the place that helps Brandon build upon that!

Valtteri Filppula – Tampa Bay Lightning 

Valtteri Filppula is a player who I don’t know a whole lot about even after doing some research. I still couldn’t find any fun facts about him. However, the one thing that I’m sure of, and the thing that matters the most here is that he’s good looking. There’s something striking about his look: blue eyes, blond hair and tanned-ish skin. Combine all that with a tall nose and strong jawline? Unf, that makes a really good-looking guy.  

Chris Higgins – NHL Free Agent 

Yet another former Canucks on my list, but Chris Higgins isn’t here only because I say so. In fact, he’s been on many “sexiest NHL players” list long before I decided to write this. I mean, if you type “Chris Higgins” in Google, one of the prompts that come up is “Chris Higgins Abs”… With his sweet beard game and the smile that’s always on his face, it’s definitely not difficult to be charmed by this hardworking player. 

DEFENCEMEN

First Pair:

Ben Hutton – Vancouver Canucks

Ben Hutton, from the first day he stepped into the Canucks locker room in just the last season, has been a ray of sunshine to the team. With a fun personality and his signature wink, Ben quickly captured the hearts of all fans – a place he plans to stay as he quickly showcased his improved skills this season with this goal against the Arizona Coyotes during the preseason. 

P.K Subban – Nashville Predators

This man is mad. He’s got mad love, mad skills, mad humor and mad style.

• Mad love: Not only has this man committed to raising $10 million dollars for the Montreal Children Hospital, he’s also left the community with great memories by being approachable and friendly during their interactions.
  • Mad skills: A winner of the titles of being the top NHL defenceman and leading scorer amongst defenceman, just take a look at some of the things P. K. has done on ice… Need I say more?
  • Mad humor: As the adored player that he is, P. K. has given fans more reasons to love him than just his skills and kind-heartedness; this man has given them laughter on many occasions, whether it’s pranking his teammates, or just cracking jokes by himself. Take a look at some of his funniest moments here!
  • Mad Style: Take a look at some of the suits he’s worn here, here, here, here and tell me he doesn’t look good.  Even when he’s dressed in Don-Cherry crazy suits, this man still looks good!

Second Pair:

Rasmus Ristolainen – Buffalo Sabres

Although he is young (only 21 years old), Rasmus Ristolainen is already doing impressive things in the NHL, with his most standout achievement being the first Sabres’ defenseman to score a hat trick since 1988. Quickly rising to the #1 defenceman spot on the team, this handsome young player will only get better with time. 

Kevin Bieksa – Anaheim Ducks

Kevin Bieksa, or Juice, (whichever one you might prefer calling him), was a great player and is still a good friend to the Canucks. In his 10 years with the team, Kevin has fought (literally) for his teammates and helped bring his team to the Stanley Cup finals in 2011, all while helping to lead the team as he wears the “A” on his jersey. If you need more reasons to love this guy, I suggest watching this video and other ones of this kind so you see just how funny he is.

GOALIES

Eddie Lack – Carolina Hurricanes

My heart shattered into a million pieces the day Eddie Lack was traded to Carolina at the end of the 2014 season. Eddie, lovably nicknamed “The Stork” due to his long legs, was a fan favourite as he remained true to his quirky self (who has an inexplicable love for tacos and bubbles), who makes us chuckle time after time despite all the media attention and drama in Vancouver. 

Henrik Lundqvist – New York Rangers

You thought the guy was a model, didn’t you? Well you’re not completely wrong for thinking that, but Henrik Lundqvist, aptly nicknamed “The King” (because he owns everything he does in life), has a full time job – which he is really good at, of goaltending for the New York Rangers. Within the Rangers’ franchise, Henrik holds the records of Most Games Played and Most Shutouts, just to name a few. In addition to all those achievements, he was also selected as a finalist for the ESPN Humanitarian of the Year Awards in 2015 for the work he’s done through the Henrik Lundqvist Foundation. Seriously, what’s not to love about this guy? 

Sandy is a third-year Communication major at Simon Fraser University. She is devoted to the saying "Look Good, Feel Good" as her favourite thing to do in the whole wide world is to dress up each day as though she is going on her own runway. Feel free to check out her Instagram @blingbling3d for OOTDs and other bits and pieces of her life.