Meet Sarah Kwan: This Girl Is On Fire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Hometown: Richmond

Major: Communication  

Year: 3rd Year  

Age: 20

What ignites your fire?

Seeing that what I do actually helps others, whether its through volunteering, co-op, or other ways of getting engaged. I’m currently a co-op student at SFU Career and Volunteer Services as a  Special Projects Assistant. The most recent volunteer work was Media Minds, a non-profit that helps new youth in Canada get accustomed to Canadian culture and gain culture through media such as filmmaking. And the other is the Richmond community centre to combat poverty; I started community events such as the Winter Community Dinner supplying free food to homeless people and low income families.

Even when school gets tough or volunteering all day drains me…. knowing that it is done so that I can lessen the suffering or loneliness of someone helps push me further.

I always want to stay connected to a community and help others thrive.

What do you see yourself doing with your Communication degree?

I’ve always dreamed of being a journalist. That dream turned into making creative graphic designs and communications materials, and now I’m even considering teaching. I’m planning to go teach in Thailand in the fall.

I will go where my passions lie.

What’s is your favorite movie quote?

“God is in the rain” is a beautiful quote I can’t forget. “Ideas are bulletproof” is also a great one, from V for Vendetta.

Apple Music or Spotify?

Spotify! I always find new music during my two hour commute to work. I like how it curates playlists for me.

Favorite place you’ve traveled to?

Either Mexico or Hawaii, always for the natural beauty. Plus I love eating the tropical fruits, they make a great smoothie.

What do you do in your free time?

Discover new music, get inspired by Pinterest boards, and sharing fashion, lifestyle, laughs and tears with my fave YouTubers. 

Interesting fact?

My older sister and I share the same birthday, except they’re 10 years apart on December 8th.

Born and raised in East Africa, Tanzania and Uganda. Edna is a 3rd year International student pursuing a major in Communication and minor in Publishing at Simon Fraser University. Currently doing a co-op placement at Simon Fraser University Career and Volunteer Services as a Special Projects Assistant.She enjoys reading, sports, theatre and karaoke. She is a loving mother to two beautiful guinea pigs named Amarula and Kahlua. She loves Cheesecake! She's a Social Justice Warrior Princess. Connect with Edna and follow her story. Instagram: @shineella96 Twitter: @shineella96 Snapchat: @shineella96