Meet Janet Lam: CPA Recruit Participant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Hey SFU collegiates! This week’s #CampusCutie is non other than my favourite gal pal, Janet Lam! Janet is currently a student at the Beedie School of Business, and is finishing her business degree this semester. Throughout the past six months, she’s been working hard in the CPA Recruit Program here at Beedie. I knew that I had to hear and tell her story, especially since she’ll be leaving SFU in the new year; thus, here it is. Please enjoy my interview with SFU’s very own Janet Lam!

Fun fact: I met Janet back in 2013 during my second week at SFU. We were in the same MATH 157 class, and were handing in our first ever math assignment. I did not know her at first, but when I realized that I had forgotten to write my student number on my assignment after I had slid it into the math assignments box, I told my other friend that I was with and I let out a big “oh no!” The next thing I knew a girl (Janet) was chatting with me: “You too?” she asked. She had forgotten to write something on her assignment too. We then both had to awkwardly go and find a teaching assistant to help fish out our assignment from the box of assignments (did I mention that there were over 500 students in our math class?). It was the beginning of our friendship, and the beginning of a lifetime of messing up and making mistakes.

The basics:

Name: Janet Lam

Age: 22

Hometown: Richmond, BC

Program of Study: Accounting

Year: 5th

Favourite Meal: Chicken wings

Dream Travel Destination: Egypt

Fun Fact: I’ve been to 8 different schools in 3 different countries in my 12 years of education (elementary and high school)

What we would like to know:

Q: What inspired you to pursue your CPA designation?

A: To be completely honest, I was only interested in pursuing my CPA because of the job security it provided. But as I participated in the CPA recruit, I realized that the designation itself was a great challenge for myself, and that it would push me out of my comfort zone and force me to try and learn new things.

Q: May you describe what the CPA Recruit process was like?

A: CPA recruit consists of year-round networking and information sessions, but most of the networking happens during May to August. This year’s CPA recruit was completely different because for the first time ever, all the firms recruiting had different interview dates. The interviews usually consist of 3 rounds, one that’s behavioural, one with a partner, and one that’s a casual social with some associates at the firm. Depending on what the firms are looking for in their candidates, they design their interviews differently to better gauge the personality and abilities of the candidates.

Q: How did you overcome your fear of being rejected for accounting positions?

A: Setting a goal was really motivating. I have a short-term goal of getting a position at an audit firm, and obtaining my CPA within the next 3 years. Having my goal in mind, I was motivated to learn from my mistakes and to improve on my interview skills for the next one. Another thing is to not take the rejections personally, and to understand that it’s just another opportunity to learn and improve yourself. Out of the seven firms that interviewed me, I was rejected by the first five. Instead of thinking that I wasn’t good enough, I would actually write down the interview questions once I got home, and then reviewed my answers. I would also review my interview process with Natalia, the CPA advisor, and try to analyze what I did well and what I needed to improve on. In the end, I finally realized what I was doing wrong, and at the last two interviews I was finally able to receive an offer.

Q: What was your favourite moment during your time in the CPA Recruit?

A: Getting to meet all the interesting people who worked at the firms and the different candidates as well. Networking may seem intimidating at first, but it’s actually really fun to get to know others and to meet like-minded people.

Q: How have you changed as a person since beginning the CPA Recruit?

A: I realized that I had grown so much; from the awkward freshman who didn’t talk to people, to where I am today, proactively striking up conversations and making new friends. My second and third year were bleak because I felt so lost. School was overwhelming and I didn’t have any goals in mind after graduation. I felt like I was going through the motions without knowing why I was doing what I was doing. In fourth year, I was stressing about my grades and doubting myself, thinking that I wouldn’t be able to find a job once I graduated. Through CPA recruit, I met many like-minded people and faced my fear of failure, which taught me a life-changing lesson of staying optimistic and believing in myself. I now strive to challenge myself and to push myself out of my comfort zone to constantly improve myself and to compete with no one but my old self.

Q: What advice do you have for students who are also going through the recruit?

A: Rejection hurts, and it’s so easy to just start internalizing the failures and thinking that you’re not good enough. However, rejection only leads to failure if you give up on yourself. As cliché as it sounds, “if you fall down seven times, stand up eight.” Your attitude in life is so important and rejection can be beneficial as long as you see it in a different light. Rejection is but a learning opportunity, and to succeed in something you’re definitely going to fail at it a couple of times. Continue to believe in yourself and your abilities, and as long as you work hard you’re going to be able to succeed.

Recruit can be fun as long as you make the most out of it! Networking is so crucial in the business world and it’s better to start early than too late. Push yourself out of your comfort zone and get to know people by showing genuine interest in them. Networking is also not just restricted for recruit, but you should maintain those professional relationships year-round. Continue to show interest in others and build relationships with them, because life is full of opportunities and having those relationships will open doors in the future that you may never expect.

Q: Which company will you be working for come September, and what are your plans until then?

A: I accepted the offer from Deloitte. From now till September, I plan on finishing my degree by the end of the year (2017), and then work full-time to earn an income so that I can travel before I enter the busy world of auditing and CPA.

Q: What do you look forward to in your new position?

A: Officially starting and building my career. I am also excited to see what auditing is really like in the real world, and to learn more about different industries in the world. Lastly, I am excited to travel and make lifelong friends at work.

Q: You are working in your new position at Deloitte when someone begins talking to you, but they are calling you by the wrong name. What do you do?

A: Believe it or not, I actually get called the wrong name all the time. When I first meet people and tell them my name, they always think it’s “Janice.” I just politely correct them and tell them that my name is actually Janet, like Janet Jackson. Adding a joke into it makes the situation much less awkward, and it signals to them that it’s not a big deal to me.

….. Thanks so much for chatting, Janet! Hopefully everyone at your new job says your name correctly!

Sarah is graduating from SFU's Beedie School of Business after six years of studying marketing, human resources and international business. In her spare time, she volunteers to support other students' learning of business communications and at Greater Vancouver Board of Trade events. Connect with Sarah through LinkedIn or Instagram.
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa