Maintaining Minimalism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Ever heard the saying that “less is more”? Well, minimalism is all about living with less. For many minimalists, it’s all about getting rid of the extra stuff and focusing on experiences rather than material possessions. In the age of fast fashion and consuming to fit in we unconsciously accumulate way more items than we actually need. There are many reasons to want to be more minimalistic in your everyday life, such as saving money, consuming consciously, maintaining a clean space, and focusing your attention on personal relationships.

Here are some questions to ask yourself if a minimalist lifestyle is for you:

1. Do you hate cleaning?

It’s simple. The less things you own, the less you have to maintain and clean. One aspect of minimalism is trying to own only the things that you use often in your daily life. If you only have possessions that are often-used items, they won’t be messy, unorganized or taking up otherwise-useful space.

2. Are you in debt?

Let’s face it. Any kind of debt can be an obstacle and hold you back from leading a dynamic life. Getting a handle on your debt by buying less will definitely help this problem. The positive benefits of spending less money include saving up for long-term goal purchases such as a vacation, university, or a new home. When you channel your funds into saving for a bigger and well thought out purchase, it also increases your likelihood of being able to pay it off.

3. Is there too much stress in your life?

Physical clutter is an extra stressor in your life. Ever heard the saying “a clean space equals a clean mind”? Well it’s true. Having less clutter in life enables your space to become a productive, no-frills workstation that is comfortable, inspiring, and visually pleasing to the eye.

4. Are you environmentally conscious?

Minimalism facilitates a reduction in our environmental footprint by requiring less resources on the end of production and reducing waste on the back end. Think of one-time use packaging or coffee cups. Also, with purchasing less, you do not take part in consuming fast fashion – which is also detrimental to the environment.

5. Is your well-being more important than material possessions?

In our consumerist era, we may believe that possessions are the way to individuate ourselves from others. However, these are not the things that make us unique or valuable. It is our character, passions, heart and soul. Material possessions only obscure your view from bigger aspirations and goals, such as saving to move out, or living debt free.

Don’t be discouraged when your version of minimalism is different from everyone else’s. After all, we are not all made with the same priorities in mind. Hence, it’s important to alter this way of life according to you. This new lifestyle is supposed to reduce stress, not add on to it!

Image courtesy of Agata Dimmich

If you want to learn more, I recommend this book where it really explains the art of minimalism and helps you get into the right mindset.

Link: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing

I'm a small girl who likes to try everything once. I love seeking thrills, makeup and Netflix.
.