alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Life Lessons From 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

2016 was a year of ups and downs from the wars and the violence, to the death of Prince, David Bowie (and let’s not forget, Harambe). On the other hand there is Harriet Tubman replacing Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill and Leonardo DiCaprio finally winning an Oscar.

Quite frankly I have been taking L’s all year. Regardless of what you thought about 2016 here are some important life lessons I learned.

1. Take your time. Life isn’t a race so don’t rush to finish. Take all the time you need. Whether it be finishing a degree, getting married, starting a family or just healing from the stress life throws at you. Everyone moves at their own pace, find yours.

2. Friendship can honestly be a matter of convenience. Don’t get me wrong it can be real, beautiful and fun until that person moves away to another place and finds 20 more people they can ‘connect’ with. Know who your true friends are no matter the distance. You can survive without the people you never thought you could live without.

3. You don’t have to pursue a boring degree for a boring job. A University degree is already expensive as it is. Don’t spend the rest of your life doing something you don’t love. If you’re truly passionate about something, no matter what, you will excel, you will thrive. You will be happy.

4. You’ll exercise. You’ll drink more water. You’ll eat healthier. Not because you’re not beautiful the way you are but because your body deserves to be treated better. Everyone is different, only you know what your body needs.

5. Surround yourself with happiness, inspiration and positivity especially when it comes to social media. Think about who you’re following and what content they’re sharing with you. Make sure you’re in a comfortable and content environment. You get to choose what fills your heart and soul.

6. If you don’t want do something, don’t do it. It’s ok to say NO. Even if it means that you’re pissing off a bunch of people, just save yourself the stress. Learn how and when to say NO. If you don’t feel like going to that party and want to stay in instead it’s 100% your right to say NO.

7. Sometimes the only person you need is you. Don’t be afraid to be alone and don’t be afraid to learn that you actually like being alone. Enjoy your own company because you know yourself best. You’ve come this far so believe in yourself. You are enough.

8.  Don’t be ashamed to take selfies. If you’re feeling cute, then capture those good moments. Years from now you’ll look back and think how about how you slayed. Appreciate those moments.

9. Make time for what you love. Stop making excuses saying that you don’t have time. You can make time to read more books, to watch more movies, to bake, to draw and so much more. Find the time for something you enjoy.

10. Breathe.

So if 2016 was your darkest time I wish you sunlight of happiness and inspiration in 2017. You go Glen Coco!

Image Source: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/16/0b/b0/160bb0acf1bcd987a7759799845382a6.jpg

Born and raised in East Africa, Tanzania and Uganda. Edna is a 3rd year International student pursuing a major in Communication and minor in Publishing at Simon Fraser University. Currently doing a co-op placement at Simon Fraser University Career and Volunteer Services as a Special Projects Assistant.She enjoys reading, sports, theatre and karaoke. She is a loving mother to two beautiful guinea pigs named Amarula and Kahlua. She loves Cheesecake! She's a Social Justice Warrior Princess. Connect with Edna and follow her story. Instagram: @shineella96 Twitter: @shineella96 Snapchat: @shineella96