Keeping the Faith: Meet SFU’s Kat Perez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Let me introduce Kat Perez! She is a full-time student who juggles a part-time job and actively volunteers at her church! She loves to sing, dance and read. I got the chance to sit down and got to know her a little bit better over a coffee. She’s just doing her best, like the rest of us.

Name: Kat Perez Age: 18 Hometown: Richmond BC Program of study: Communications Year of Study, 1st year Social media: ig: @kat__perez

What do you enjoy doing in your free time?:

I’m a very artsy person so whenever I have the time I like to sing just at home or take dance classes. Usually, I write or read poetry.

How do you balance your studies, a job and active volunteering?

Honestly, it’s hard! Sometimes I get very overwhelmed but I always make sure I have a schedule, even just like a mental one where I make sure I space everything out and have time for each activity. It’s definitely time-consuming and I don’t get as much social/free time as I want so I try to find that when I’m at school, work or volunteering.

What inspired you to be so active in your church community?

It was when I joined my choir (or more so band) at my church I developed this sense of community. I felt like that was something that was always missing in my life because I grew up with a small family and not so many friends. So being in this church community made me feel warm and welcomed. Through that, I started volunteering and joining my youth ministry to fully engage myself in the community because it honestly feels good to know that you’re helping out a community that also helps you!

Where is your happy place?

It’s not necessarily a place but I would consider being with my loved ones a happy place. Whether it is my family, my boyfriend or my friends, I’m always at peace and I definitely feel the safest with them.

What is one thing you’ve always wanted to do, but still haven’t done it yet?

Travel, for sure! I haven’t been out of the country besides the Philippines but it’s always been a dream of mine to explore the most random places in the world. I definitely am the type to want to go to some deserted island somewhere that no one has ever heard about.

Who inspires you the most?

Honestly, my faith inspires me the most. I’ve just grown so much through it and I am constantly filled with so much perseverance because of my faith. It’s one of the main things that keeps me going.

I'm a small girl who likes to try everything once. I love seeking thrills, makeup and Netflix.
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa